Building Functions from Asymptotes

In summary, to write an equation for a rational function given information about its asymptotes, you need to consider the given vertical and horizontal asymptotes, holes in the graph, and any specific points that the function should pass through. The process involves finding a function that satisfies these conditions, which may not necessarily be unique.
Lizardjuice7

Homework Statement

Use the given information about the asymptotes of a function to write an equation for a rational function. You may leave your function in "factored" form.

Homework Equations

1. Vertical Asymptote at x=3 and x=-2

2. Vertical Asymptote at x=5, Horizontal Asymptote at y=3

3. Hole at (2,3), Horizontal Asymptote at y=0

4. Horizontal Asymptote at y=0, Vertical Asymptote at x=6, Goes through the point (3,-2)

5. Vertical Asymptote at x=2, Oblique Asymptote with Equation y=3x-5

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the basics for finding horizontal, vertical, and oblique asymptotes when you have the equation. I'm just having a hard time going backwards.

1. f(x)=1/(x-3)(x+2)

2. f(x)=3x/(x-5)

3. I know the denominator has to be a higher degree than the numerator, bu the "hole" in the graph through me for a loop. No idea where to start.

4. I'm having a similar problem, I don't know how to find a point that goes through the asymptote.

5. f(x)=3x2-11x+10/(x-2)

I got that by setting the denominator equal to zero to find '(x-2)'. I then multiplied the oblique asymptote 'y=3x-5' by '(x-2)' to get the numerator. I think i did something wrong though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Lizardjuice7

Physics news on Phys.org
None these problems necessarily determines a unique function, you just have to find one that works. 1 and 2 look good. A 'hole in the graph' is referring to a function like (x-2)/(x-2). It's equal to 1 everywhere except at x=2, where it's undefined. That's the 'hole in the graph'. For 4 the point (-3,2) really supposed to be on the asymptote or on the graph? It's not on either asymptote. For 5 the equation should be (3x-5) times something that goes to 1 as x->infinity, right? And that something should have a vertical asymptote at x=2.

Last edited:

1. What are asymptotes?

Asymptotes are lines on a graph that a function approaches but does not intersect. They can be horizontal, vertical, or oblique.

2. How do you find the asymptotes of a function?

To find the asymptotes of a function, you need to first simplify the function by factoring and canceling out common factors. Then, set the denominator equal to 0 and solve for x. The resulting values will be the vertical asymptotes. To find the horizontal asymptote, divide the leading coefficients of the numerator and denominator. If the result is a finite number, then that is the horizontal asymptote. If the result is infinity or undefined, then there is no horizontal asymptote.

3. Can a function have more than one asymptote?

Yes, a function can have multiple asymptotes. For example, a rational function can have both vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

4. Do all functions have asymptotes?

No, not all functions have asymptotes. Functions such as linear or quadratic functions do not have asymptotes.

5. How do asymptotes affect the graph of a function?

Asymptotes can help determine the behavior of a function at certain points on the graph. They can also help identify any discontinuities in the function. Additionally, asymptotes can affect the overall shape of the graph, as they can act as boundaries or limits for the function.