Finding the limit of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a given expression involving a tangent line and a function. The solution involves using the limit definition of derivative and knowing that the numerator of the expression will always be 0 in a derivative limit. The conversation also clarifies that the 0 in the denominator does not necessarily mean the limit will be infinity.
altegron

Homework Statement

Suppose y = 9(x - 3) + 30 is the tangent line to f(x) at x = 3.

The limit I need to find:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2963/b3275332191bc2fc8561357mt3.gif

2. No Relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that f(3) is equal to 30. So that means that the numerator will be 30 - 30 and the denominator will be 0. So I can't remember what I need to do to find the exact answer. Is there some way that I can determine what f(x) is? I know f'(3) = 9 and f(3) = 30.

I could work backwards and say f(2) is 21, f(1) is 12, f(0) is 3 but that would require that f be linear.

How can I find this limit and be sure that it is the right answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked the derative in x=3 but you know the tangent line in x=3 so we know the derative, right?

One way of defining "derivative" of f(x) at x= a is that the derivative is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of y= f(x) at x= a. The question is much simpler than you think it is: no calculation required.

Well I know the slope of the tangent line at 3 is 9. But the limit at 3 is 30.

I think what I don't understand is how to evaluate the limit. (Normally evaluating the limit is the same as plugging in a value into the function, but when it is like this and everything is divided by 0 I get confused.) I don't understand how the derivative at a point affects the limit of an expression.

Maybe the 0 in the denominator is what is causing me all this trouble and really the limit is +/- infinity?

You can't take the limit because you don't know what f is!

So what limit are you talking about being 30? Yes, the function y= 9(x-3)+ 30 has value 30 at x= 3. That tells you that, in order that that line be tangent to the graph of y= f(x), f(3) must be 30. That has nothing to do with the fact that f'(3)= 9 and surely you know that an equivalent way of defining the derivative (equivalent to 'slope of the tangent line') is
[tex]f'(3)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(3+h)- f(3)}{h}[/itex]

You know, from the tangent line given, that f'(3)= 9. You know from the "limit definition" of the derivative that the limit given is the derivative of f at x= 3. Therefore, that limit is 9.

The fact that the denominator becomes 0 does NOT tell you that a limit must be [itex]\pm\infty[/itex]; not if the numerator goes to 0 also- which it always does in a derivative limit: the numerator is f(a+ h)- f(a) which becomes f(a)- f(a)= 0. Again, you cannot directly calculate that limit because you don't know what f(x) is.

HallsofIvy said:
You can't take the limit because you don't know what f is!

So what limit are you talking about being 30? Yes, the function y= 9(x-3)+ 30 has value 30 at x= 3. That tells you that, in order that that line be tangent to the graph of y= f(x), f(3) must be 30. That has nothing to do with the fact that f'(3)= 9 and surely you know that an equivalent way of defining the derivative (equivalent to 'slope of the tangent line') is
[tex]f'(3)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(3+h)- f(3)}{h}[/itex]

You know, from the tangent line given, that f'(3)= 9. You know from the "limit definition" of the derivative that the limit given is the derivative of f at x= 3. Therefore, that limit is 9.

The fact that the denominator becomes 0 does NOT tell you that a limit must be [itex]\pm\infty[/itex]; not if the numerator goes to 0 also- which it always does in a derivative limit: the numerator is f(a+ h)- f(a) which becomes f(a)- f(a)= 0. Again, you cannot directly calculate that limit because you don't know what f(x) is.
Okay, so this makes sense now. Really the key to the problem was the limit definition of derivative.

What does it mean to find the limit of a function?

Finding the limit of a function involves determining the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value or tends towards infinity.

Why is finding the limit of a function important?

Finding the limit of a function helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific point and can be useful in solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and continuity.

How do you find the limit of a function?

There are several methods to find the limit of a function, such as direct substitution, factoring, and using L'Hopital's rule. It is important to follow the rules of limits and consider any discontinuities or asymptotes when evaluating the limit.

Can a limit of a function exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to exist even if the function is not defined at that point. The function may have a removable discontinuity or an infinite discontinuity at that point, but the limit can still be evaluated.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specific value from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function from both directions and requires that the limit from both directions be equal for the limit to exist.