Calculating Water Speed in a River Rapids

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of water flowing in a narrowing river with given dimensions and speed before the rapids. This can be solved using conservation of mass rather than Bernoulli's equation and pressure.
dislike
Hello, I would appreciate any help!

Homework Statement

A river narrows at a rapids from a width of 12m to a width of only 5.8m. The depth of the river before the rapids is 2.7m; the depth in the rapids is .85m. Find the speed of water flowing in the rapids, given that its speed before the rapids is 1.2m/s. Assume the river has a rectangular cross section.

Homework Equations

I'm using bernoulli's equation:
P1+pv^2/2+pgy=P2+pv2^2+pgy2
and P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I would have to find the Pressures at the top and the bottom with P=F/A. The area I can find with the depth and width given but how do I find the force. Or is the pressure on the top of the river just atmospheric pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

dislike said:
A river narrows at a rapids from a width of 12m to a width of only 5.8m. The depth of the river before the rapids is 2.7m; the depth in the rapids is .85m. Find the speed of water flowing in the rapids, given that its speed before the rapids is 1.2m/s. Assume the river has a rectangular cross section.

Hi dislike! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You don't need the pressure.

Just use conservation of mass. :wink:

I'm still confused; could you explain a little more.

l understand what you mean now. Thank You.

What is the speed of water flowing?

The speed of water flowing can vary greatly depending on various factors such as the source of the water, the size and shape of the body of water, and the presence of any obstacles or resistance in the water. In general, the speed of water flow can range from a few centimeters per second in small streams to several meters per second in large rivers.

How is the speed of water flowing measured?

The speed of water flowing can be measured using various methods such as current meters, floats, and velocity sensors. These instruments measure the velocity of the water at a specific point in the stream and can provide an average speed over a certain distance or time period.

What factors affect the speed of water flowing?

The speed of water flowing can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the slope of the land, the volume of water flowing, the shape and size of the channel, and the presence of any obstacles such as rocks or vegetation. Changes in any of these factors can cause fluctuations in the speed of water flow.

Can the speed of water flowing be controlled?

The speed of water flowing can be controlled to some extent through the use of man-made structures such as dams and levees. These structures can alter the natural flow of water and regulate its speed. However, the speed of water flowing in natural bodies of water is ultimately determined by natural forces and cannot be fully controlled by humans.

Why is it important to study the speed of water flowing?

The speed of water flowing is an important aspect of hydrology and can have significant impacts on the environment, such as erosion and sediment transport. It is also crucial for industries that rely on water, such as agriculture and hydropower generation. Understanding the speed of water flowing is essential for managing and protecting our water resources.