What is the limit as x approaches 0 from the positive side of (sin x)(ln x)?

In summary, the limit as x approaches 0+ of (sin x)(ln x) cannot be solved using direct substitution. The attempt at using L'Hopital's rule leads to an expression of [(ln x)^2 cos x]/(-ln x), which does not simplify the problem. Another attempt at using L'Hopital's rule on ln(x)/(1/sin(x)) leads to an expression of -(sin x)/x*cos x, which still cannot be solved using direct substitution. Further simplification may be necessary to find a solution to this limit.
phil ess

Homework Statement

Find the limit as x -> 0+ of (sin x)(ln x)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote this as (sin x) / (1/ln x), then using L'Hopital it becomes:

(cos x) / [(-ln x) / (ln x)2] = [(ln x)2 cos x] / (-ln x)

So I get limit as x -> 0+ of [(ln x)2 cos x] / (-ln x)

Which isn't any better. I'm not sure if I can even use L'Hopital here because it requires that substitution gives the indeterminate state, but I don't know if 0+/0+ really counts. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try (cos x)/[(-1) / (xln x)2]

It's probably easier to try l'Hopital on ln(x)/(1/sin(x)). What does that give you? Remember lim sin(x)/x=1.

Doing it on ln(x)/(1/sin(x)) gives me sin(x)/-xcos(x). Now what do I do though? I can't solve using direct substitution because 0+ isn't really a number. Do I just substitute in something close like 0.0001?

I guess I could rewrite it -tan(x)/x but that doesn't help me much.

Use more parentheses! I can't tell what sin(x)/-xcos(x) is supposed to mean. The closest it could be to being right is -(sin(x)/x)*cos(x). But that's not even right, the power of the sin is wrong. Can you fix it?

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical rule that allows you to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a fraction of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of those functions will be equal to the limit of the original fraction.

2. When should I use L'Hopital's Rule?

You should use L'Hopital's Rule when you encounter an indeterminate form, as it allows you to evaluate such limits in an easier and more efficient way. However, it should only be used for limits involving fractions of functions, and not for other types of limits.

3. Is L'Hopital's Rule always applicable?

No, L'Hopital's Rule is not always applicable. It can only be used when the limit is in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. If the limit is in a different indeterminate form, such as 1^∞ or ∞-∞, then L'Hopital's Rule cannot be applied.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions to using L'Hopital's Rule. One limitation is that the functions in the original limit must be differentiable in a neighborhood around the point at which the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, the limit must exist in order for L'Hopital's Rule to be applicable.

5. Are there any alternatives to using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are alternative methods for evaluating limits involving indeterminate forms. These include factoring, simplifying, and using other limit rules such as the Squeeze Theorem. It is always important to consider these alternatives before using L'Hopital's Rule.