Understanding Car Suspension Equations

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the equations used in a half suspension system simulation. The equations are explained to model the dynamics of the vehicle based on suspension parameters and positions, assuming symmetry. There is a discussion about the coefficient '2' in equation two and it is clarified that it represents the 2 tires in the front and 2 tires in the back. The conversation also mentions the diagram and how it can be understood by both mechanical engineers and auto repair shop mechanics. There is also a question about the involvement of trigonometry in the equations.
Kammy1234
Hi

Im trying to revise up on half suspension systems and I found this useful link. Their are 4 equations but I was wondering if someone could explain the equations for me (as it just tells you what they are without giving any understanding) especially equation 1.

http://www.mathworks.com/products/s...s/demos/shipping/simulink/sldemo_suspn.html#1

Thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is it exactly you don't understand about the equations? They are pretty clear. All four of the equations model the dynamics of the vehicle itself based on the suspension parameters and its positions. Keep in mind that this is only a simple 2-dimensional analysis and assumes the driver and passenger side suspension parameters and displacement are symmetrical.

Hi, thanks for replying.

I suppose the real problem for me is why in eqwuation two is the coefficient '2' in both cases. You only have one spring, only have one dmaper on the left hand side - same for the right hand side, yet it shows 2 as the coeficient?

Because the model assumes symmetry. You have 2 tires in the front, and 2 tires in the back.

good start ! shows elementary working of simple suspension..many dynamic variables need to be addressed but good effort

studying the diagram, i think it was been discuss thoroughly. by the way i think the best person to understand that diagram aside from the mechncal engineer, i think it can be understand by auto repair shops mechanics. i guess.

i see that the horizontal distance is multiplied directly by the pitch angle... shouldn't there be some sort of trigonometry involved?

What is car suspension?

Car suspension is a system of components that work together to absorb shocks and vibrations from the road surface, providing a smooth and comfortable ride for passengers.

What are the main components of car suspension?

The main components of car suspension include springs, shock absorbers, control arms, and sway bars. Springs are responsible for supporting the weight of the car and absorbing bumps and vibrations. Shock absorbers dampen and control the movement of the springs. Control arms connect the wheels to the car's frame, allowing for movement and steering. Sway bars help to stabilize the car during turns.

How does car suspension affect handling and performance?

The type and quality of a car's suspension can greatly impact its handling and performance. A well-designed suspension can improve cornering and braking abilities, while a poorly designed suspension can result in a bumpy and unstable ride.

What are the different types of car suspension?

There are several types of car suspension, including independent, dependent, and semi-independent. Independent suspension allows each wheel to move independently, providing a smoother ride and better handling. Dependent suspension connects both wheels on an axle, meaning they move together. Semi-independent suspension uses a combination of dependent and independent elements.

How do I know if my car's suspension needs to be replaced?

Signs that your car's suspension may need to be replaced include a bumpy or uncomfortable ride, uneven tire wear, difficulty steering, and excessive noise or vibration while driving. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is best to have your car inspected by a professional mechanic.