Lead-Acid Battery Discharge: PbO2 + Pb + 2H2SO4  2PbSO4 + 2H2O

• Thread starter ally1h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the overall cell reaction during discharge of a lead-acid battery and the incorrect statement among the given options. The correct options are that lead serves as the anode, PbO2 electrode is positive during discharge, and upon recharging, the lead electrode is negative. The incorrect statement is that upon recharging, the density of the electrolyte will increase. The conversation also mentions the non-spontaneous nature of the recharging reaction, which requires an outside voltage. The PbO2 electrode is the positive electrode, and the recharging reaction occurs by pumping electrons in reverse.
ally1h

Homework Statement

The overall cell reaction during discharge of the lead-acid battery is:
PbO2 (s) + Pb (s) +2H2SO4 (aq)  2PbSO4 (s) + 2H2O (l)

Which statement is incorrect?
a) the lead serves as the anode
b) the PbO2 electrode would be positive during discharge
c) upon recharging, the above reaction occurs in reverse
d) upon recharging, the density of the electrolyte will increase
e) upon recharging, the lead electrode is negative

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lead DOES serve as the anode and PbO2 serves as the cathode, so option A is out. From what little I know of lead-acid batteries, upon discharge electrons are put through the PbO2 cathode making the charge negative. I think. So B is a possible answer. C, however, I think is possible as well because according to my book the E˚cell given for the above reaction is -2.046 V making the recharging reaction non-spontaneous... an outside voltage = +2.046 is needed to recharge.

But as for the rest... I'm not certain. There's very little mentioned in my book and I'm having trouble thinking it all through. Will someone please help explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The PbO2 electrode is the positive electrode. C doesn't ask if the recharging reaction occurs spontaneously. It assumes that it does occur. If it occurs because you are pumping electrons in reverse, is the reaction going in reverse or is it going in the forward direction?

Any help?

The correct answer is d) upon recharging, the density of the electrolyte will increase. When a lead-acid battery is discharged, the electrolyte (sulfuric acid) is consumed in the chemical reaction and the density decreases. During the charging process, the chemical reaction is reversed and the electrolyte is replenished, causing the density to increase. The lead electrode does become negative during recharging, but this is not the incorrect statement.

1. What is the chemical equation for the discharge of a lead-acid battery?

The chemical equation for the discharge of a lead-acid battery is: PbO2 + Pb + 2H2SO4 → 2PbSO4 + 2H2O. This reaction involves the lead dioxide (PbO2) and lead (Pb) electrodes, as well as sulfuric acid (H2SO4) as the electrolyte.

2. What happens during the discharge of a lead-acid battery?

During the discharge of a lead-acid battery, the lead dioxide (PbO2) and lead (Pb) electrodes react with sulfuric acid (H2SO4) to form lead sulfate (PbSO4) and water (H2O). This process releases electrical energy and the battery's voltage decreases.

3. What are the products of the discharge reaction in a lead-acid battery?

The products of the discharge reaction in a lead-acid battery are lead sulfate (PbSO4) and water (H2O). These products form on the surfaces of the electrodes and in the electrolyte, causing the battery's voltage to decrease.

4. How does the discharge reaction affect the capacity of a lead-acid battery?

The discharge reaction in a lead-acid battery consumes the active materials on the electrodes, causing the battery's capacity to decrease over time. As more discharges occur, the amount of lead and lead dioxide available for the reaction decreases, resulting in a decrease in the battery's overall capacity.

5. What factors can affect the rate of discharge in a lead-acid battery?

The rate of discharge in a lead-acid battery can be affected by factors such as temperature, current load, and the state of charge of the battery. A higher temperature can increase the rate of the reaction, while a higher current load or a lower state of charge can decrease the rate of discharge.