How many stages or phases in inert gas pumping? (gas pressure pumps)

In summary: This cycle then repeats. The terminology used may vary, but the main idea is that the pump operates in two main stages: filling and discharge.
raquelyini
I’m a Spanish student and I have to translate a text about pumps. Since I’m not an expert in the subject and I haven’t found any useful English text about it, I would like you to help me clarify some concepts about steam or gas pressure pumps.
The text says that the operation of the inert gas pumping is a cycle that has the following stages or phases:

1. Filling phase. The air goes out through a stop tube and a discharge tube. A ball valve opens and consequently the liquid can reach the sump.
2. Filled phase. The liquid reaches the top of the stop tube that gets full; the pressure of the air raises, the ball valve closes and the ejection starts through the vertical discharge tube.
3. Discharge phase. The pressure of the air keeps being constant, the ball valve is still closed and the ejection continues.
4. Discharged phase. The level of the liquid goes down until the curvature of the stop tube and the air escapes with a big impulse through the stop tube and the discharge tube. The liquid reaches an atmospheric pressure so the ball valve opens and a new cycle starts.

My question is whether this four-stage cycle could be summarized into two stages, the filling stage and the discharge stage, since this is what I understand from the original text.
And also, I am not sure about the terminology I have used, I hope you can get the main idea and please don’t hesitate to correct anything you consider wrong!

Thank you indeed for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the four-stage cycle of steam or gas pressure pumps can be summarized into two stages: filling stage and discharge stage. The filling stage consists of the air going out through a stop tube and a discharge tube and the liquid reaching the sump. The discharge stage consists of the pressure of the air remaining constant and the ejection continuing until the level of the liquid goes down and the air escapes with a big impulse.

I can clarify that there are indeed four distinct stages in the inert gas pumping cycle. The first stage, the filling phase, involves the removal of air through a stop tube and discharge tube, followed by the opening of a ball valve to allow the liquid to reach the sump. The second stage, the filled phase, occurs when the liquid reaches the top of the stop tube and the air pressure increases, causing the ball valve to close and the ejection of the liquid through the discharge tube. The third stage, the discharge phase, involves the continuation of ejection while the air pressure remains constant and the ball valve remains closed. Finally, the fourth stage, the discharged phase, occurs when the liquid level decreases and the air escapes through the stop tube and discharge tube, causing the ball valve to open and begin a new cycle.

It is not accurate to summarize the four stages into just two, as each stage serves a distinct purpose in the overall operation of the inert gas pumping process. I hope this clarifies the concept for you and helps with your translation. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. How many stages are typically involved in inert gas pumping?

In inert gas pumping, there are usually three stages involved: the primary pump, the backing pump, and the roughing pump. Sometimes, a fourth stage, known as the high vacuum pump, may also be used.

2. What is the purpose of each stage in inert gas pumping?

The primary pump is responsible for reducing the gas pressure to a low level, while the backing pump helps maintain this low pressure. The roughing pump then further reduces the pressure to a high vacuum level. If a high vacuum pump is used, it helps achieve the final vacuum pressure.

3. How does the number of stages affect the efficiency of inert gas pumping?

The more stages involved in inert gas pumping, the more efficient the process will be. Each stage helps reduce the gas pressure to a lower level, resulting in a higher vacuum pressure. However, the number of stages needed may vary depending on the specific application.

4. Are there any limitations to the number of stages that can be used in inert gas pumping?

Generally, there is no limit to the number of stages that can be used in inert gas pumping. However, each additional stage may increase the complexity and cost of the pumping system.

5. Can inert gas pumping be used for all types of gases?

Inert gas pumping is typically used for non-reactive gases, such as nitrogen, argon, and helium. It may not be suitable for reactive gases, as they can potentially damage the pumping system.