How Do I Estimate the Number of Injected Holes in a Pulsed Laser Experiment?

• Thread starter pazmush
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around using a laser to excite electrons and holes in a germanium sample and fitting a curve to the collected data in Origin. The speaker is unsure how to determine the original number of injected holes and asks for help with setting up initial parameters and fitting the curve. They also discuss the function they are using and potential errors in fitting. The conversation ends with a request to provide data for fitting.
pazmush
I've just completed an experiment using a laser to excite electons and hole in a germanium sample, and i want to fit a curve to some of the dat I've collected n origin, but i need to set up some initial parameters and i don't know how to work out what the origional number of injected holes.

So does anyone know, round about, the number of injected holes from a pulsed laser light?

Or how to do my fit in origin

f(x) = h*(exp(-a*x))*(1/((b*(x+(1/a)))^0.5))*(exp((-(c-(d*x))^2)/(b*(x+(1/a)))))

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pazmush said:
I've just completed an experiment using a laser to excite electons and hole in a germanium sample, and i want to fit a curve to some of the dat I've collected n origin, but i need to set up some initial parameters and i don't know how to work out what the origional number of injected holes.

So does anyone know, round about, the number of injected holes from a pulsed laser light?

Well, how large was your spot size and your laser power? Was it bulk germanium or some nanostructure (are you looking for free electrons and holes or excitons)? What was your exciting laser wavelength? What was the pulse duration? Which temperature did you work at? This question is really not trivial.

pazmush said:
Or how to do my fit in origin

f(x) = h*(exp(-a*x))*(1/((b*(x+(1/a)))^0.5))*(exp((-(c-(d*x))^2)/(b*(x+(1/a)))))

I assume you have a newer version of Origin (7 or newer).

Plot your data points and go to analysis->nonlinear curve fit->advanced fitting tool. Check, whether the function you need is one of the ones included or choose function->new and define your own function.

ok thanks I've done that but id doesn't seem to fit a curve to my data, it just outputss a curve with the values of my initial parameters, do i have to do some parameter initialization?

Ok. Did you define your own function?
If so, could you just paste in, how your function is defined exactly, what the names of your parameters are, how many parameters you use and what your dependent and independent variables are?

thanks for this

y = h*(exp(-a*x))*(1/((3.14*b*(x+(1/a)))^0.5))*(exp((-(c-(d*x))^2)/(b*(x+(1/a)))))

independant = x
dependant = y
parameters = h,a,b,c,d

h is the the total number of holes injected? = 1E8?
a = 1000?
b = 0.012?
c = 0.005?
d = 75?

i'm using origin 8 by the way

Looks ok so far. I usually use Origin 7.5, but I hope user defined fitting is still the same.

So how do you try to fit? You switch to Action->Fit, choose a dataset, check vary vor all parameters and click 1 iteration (or 100)?

Sometimes it is sensible in Origin 7.5 to use "edit function in code builder" directly after defining the function and to save and most important compile it there. The user defined fitting sometimes won't work, if you don't compile it this way. Other possible error sources are using "." as the decimal seperator, but having "," set as the predefined decimal seperator or just using the chi sqr button by accident.

can i give you some data and you see if you can fit it please?

Attachments

• data.txt
    46.4 KB · Views: 276

1. What is Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro?

Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro is a scientific software package that is used for data analysis and visualization. It is specifically designed for scientists and engineers to process, analyze, and graph large and complex datasets.

2. What are the key features of Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro?

Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro offers a wide range of features including data importing and manipulation, statistical analysis, curve fitting, signal processing, and 2D/3D graphing capabilities. It also has advanced tools for peak analysis, image processing, and scripting for automation.

3. Is Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro user-friendly?

Yes, Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate and has a wide range of tutorials and resources available for new users. It also has a comprehensive help menu and customer support for any technical issues.

4. Can Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro handle large datasets?

Yes, Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro has the capability to handle large datasets with millions of data points. It also has efficient data processing and analysis tools to handle complex and multi-dimensional datasets.

5. Is Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro suitable for all scientific disciplines?

Yes, Haynes Shockley/Origin Pro is suitable for a wide range of scientific disciplines including biology, chemistry, engineering, physics, and more. It has customizable templates and tools for specific fields, making it versatile for various research needs.