Great, but cruel physics prank.

• Thread starter Underwaterbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If so, then it might be difficult to solve.In summary, the classmate who gave the fake exam tried his best but eventually gave up after one (1) hour due to the complexity of the problem. There was minimal outrage among his classmates.
Underwaterbob
In university we had a take home exam for a fourth year classical mechanics course. Some classmates made a fake exam with problems involving a sphere suspended by springs in the center of another sphere bouncing down the stairs and some other such incredibly complex stuff not entirely outside of the realm of what we had studied and gave it to another classmate. I guess he tried his best for about an hour before he went to the prof with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's so mean :frown: :rofl:

and I think it can count as academic offense (if that were final exam).

Welcome to PF Underwaterbob :smile:

Ha ha, that is hilarious. Cruel, but hilarious.

Very clever! That is funny. How did he react when he realized it was a joke?

Ivan Seeking said:
Very clever! That is funny. How did he react when he realized it was a joke?

He was a very laid back guy, some said narcoleptic judging from his behavior in class. There was minimal outrage. :biggrin:

Underwaterbob said:
In university we had a take home exam for a fourth year classical mechanics course. Some classmates made a fake exam with problems involving a sphere suspended by springs in the center of another sphere bouncing down the stairs and some other such incredibly complex stuff not entirely outside of the realm of what we had studied and gave it to another classmate. I guess he tried his best for about an hour before he went to the prof with it.
Interesting problem - definitely nonlinear. Please post it at PF.

Underwaterbob said:
I guess he tried his best for about an hour before he went to the prof with it.

He gave up after one (1) hour? That is a good joke.

How did they give it to him without arousing suspicion? Doesn't the teacher usually hand out the tests?
If I were the teacher I'd have forced the entire class the take the fake exam.

daniel_i_l said:
How did they give it to him without arousing suspicion? Doesn't the teacher usually hand out the tests?
If I were the teacher I'd have forced the entire class the take the fake exam.

OP said it was a take home test. I am assuming that this would make it easier to do.

That does sound like an interesting problem. Was it held by 6 springs in an orthogonal configuration or was it more chaotic?

This might be useful:
http://siconos.gforge.inria.fr/Examples/EMBouncingBall.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the problem describe a chaotic, coupled and damped system?

1. Why is the "Great, but cruel physics prank" considered cruel?

The prank is considered cruel because it involves manipulating the laws of physics to deceive or harm someone. This can result in physical or emotional harm to the victim, which is unethical and can have serious consequences.

2. How can a physics prank be both great and cruel?

A physics prank can be great in the sense that it is clever, unexpected, and can amaze or entertain people. However, it can also be cruel if it is done at the expense of someone else and causes them harm or distress.

3. What are some examples of "Great, but cruel physics pranks"?

Some examples of "Great, but cruel physics pranks" include using magnets to make objects appear to move on their own, creating optical illusions to trick the eyes, or using sound waves to make it seem like objects are talking.

4. Are there any ethical concerns with performing a "Great, but cruel physics prank"?

Yes, there are ethical concerns with performing a "Great, but cruel physics prank." It is important to consider the potential harm and consequences of the prank before carrying it out, and to ensure that the prank does not cause harm or distress to others.

5. How can we use physics in a fun and harmless way without being cruel?

There are many ways to use physics in a fun and harmless way without being cruel. This can include conducting science experiments, building and launching paper airplanes or rockets, or participating in activities such as roller coasters or escape rooms that utilize principles of physics for entertainment.