Integrals with bessel functions

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a specific integral and someone suggests using Mathematica to solve it. The speaker also asks if anyone else can solve it without Mathematica. In the end, the integral is solved using Mathematica and the solution is provided.
areslagae
I am trying to solve

int(int(exp(a*cos(theta)*sin(phi))*sin(phi), phi = 0 .. Pi), theta = 0 .. 2*Pi) (1)

with a a constant.

Using the second last definite integral on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_exponential_functions

the integral (1) reduces to

2*Pi*(int(sin(phi)*BesselI(0, a*sin(phi)), phi = 0 .. Pi)) (2)

Can anyone solve (1) or (2)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
areslagae said:
I am trying to solve

int(int(exp(a*cos(theta)*sin(phi))*sin(phi), phi = 0 .. Pi), theta = 0 .. 2*Pi) (1)

with a a constant.

Using the second last definite integral on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_exponential_functions

the integral (1) reduces to

2*Pi*(int(sin(phi)*BesselI(0, a*sin(phi)), phi = 0 .. Pi)) (2)

Can anyone solve (1) or (2)?

Plugging it into Mathematica assuming a>0 gives 4*Pi*Sinh[a]/a.

It doesn't tell the steps used, unfortunately :)

Thanks!

Apparently, Mathematica is the only program that can solve several of the integrals I am dealing without of the box. Unfortunately, I do not have access to Mathematica.

Would you please be so kind to try if Mathematica can solve

int(exp(a*cos(phi))*(sin(phi))^2, phi = 0 .. Pi)

with a a positive real constant?

The integral

assume(a > 0);
int(exp(a*cos(phi))*sin(phi)^2, phi = 0 .. Pi);

equals to

(Pi/a)*BesselI(1,a)

I have solved the integral using Mathematica, which seems to solve all these integrals out of the box.

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special mathematical functions that are used to solve differential equations. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. What is the significance of Bessel functions in integrals?

Bessel functions are used in integrals to represent oscillatory or wave-like behavior in physical systems. They are also used to find solutions for problems involving cylindrical or spherical symmetry.

3. How do you integrate with Bessel functions?

The integration of Bessel functions involves using specific integration techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution. The exact method used depends on the specific integral and the type of Bessel function involved.

4. What are the applications of integrals with Bessel functions?

Integrals with Bessel functions have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model problems in acoustics, electromagnetics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any special properties or identities of integrals with Bessel functions?

Yes, there are several special properties and identities associated with integrals involving Bessel functions. These include the orthogonality of Bessel functions, the Bessel-Gauss integral, and the Mehler-Fock transform, among others.