Calculating Norm of a Vector with Two Vectors

In summary, you can take the norm of a vector composed of two vectors: the norm is the length of the vector divided by the sum of the length of the vectors.
physguy09
Ok, so I have no idea how to take the norm of a vector composed of two vectors. I have
[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{pi}[/tex] - [tex]\vec{pf}[/tex]we are given:
|[tex]\vec{pi}[/tex]|=|[tex]\vec{pf}[/tex]|=|[tex]\vec{p}[/tex]|

so i know that
|[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]| [tex]\neq[/tex] 0, that would be too easy, and it doesn't make sense.

now, is the following right? it just doesn't seem to be

|[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]|=[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]*|[tex]\vec{p}[/tex]|

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try working it out explicitly through the inner product.
Note that
[tex]|\vec q|^2 = \vec q \cdot \vec q[/tex]
so
[tex](\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) = \ldots? [/tex]

ok so that gets me |[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]|=[tex]\sqrt{|\vec{p_{i}^2}|+|\vec{p_{f}^2}|}[/tex],
would that then be [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]p?

physguy09 said:
ok so that gets me |[tex]\vec{q}[/tex]|=[tex]\sqrt{|\vec{p_{i}^2}|+|\vec{p_{f}^2}|}[/tex],

No, it doesn't get you that. Not unless [itex]p_i[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]p_f[/itex], and the problem statement (as you gave it) doesn't say that.

Please stop guessing and work it out properly.

[tex]
(\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) =
(\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot \vec p_i - (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot \vec p_f =
\vec p_i \cdot \vec p_i + \cdots
[/tex]

CompuChip said:
Please stop guessing and work it out properly.

[tex]
(\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) =
(\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot \vec p_i - (\vec p_i - \vec p_f) \cdot \vec p_f =
\vec p_i \cdot \vec p_i + \cdots
[/tex]

not guessing, just not typing it out entirely. i wrongly assumed pi and pf were orthogonal, but i was trying to make use of the fact that
|p|=|pi|= |pf|.

i know |q|=[tex]\sqrt{\vec{p_{i}^2} + \vec{p_{f}^2 }-2*\vec{p_i}*\vec{p_f}}[/tex]

but i know |p|=|pi|= |pf|, so |p|[tex]^2[/tex] must equal |p|2=|pi|2 = |pf|2, hence, possibly with faulty reasoning,
|q|=[tex]\sqrt{2*p^2-2*\vec{p_i}*\vec{p_f}}[/tex]

You are getting closer, it's just not entirely clear to me what
[itex]2 * \vec p_i * \vec p_f [/itex]
means. In particular, what do the asterisks mean?

After clearing that up, can you write that expression in terms of p as well?

apologies, I began to get sloppy, as I'm still trying to get used to Latex, it should be
|q|=[tex]\sqrt{2 p^2-2 \vec{p_i}\cdot\vec{p_f}}[/tex]. I would not know how to write it out in terms of p, and it might be useless in this case, as we are supposed to plug in a known value for p. [tex]\vec{q}[/tex] was mainly momentum transfer, and we were given that for this case [tex]\vec{q} = \vec{p_i} - \vec{p_f}[/tex]. i already turned in the assignment, just wanted to reach the answer for the sake of learning.

physguy09 said:
apologies, I began to get sloppy, as I'm still trying to get used to Latex, it should be
|q|=[tex]\sqrt{2 p^2-2 \vec{p_i}\cdot\vec{p_f}}[/tex]. I would not know how to write it out in terms of p, and it might be useless in this case, as we are supposed to plug in a known value for p. [tex]\vec{q}[/tex] was mainly momentum transfer, and we were given that for this case [tex]\vec{q} = \vec{p_i} - \vec{p_f}[/tex]. i already turned in the assignment, just wanted to reach the answer for the sake of learning.

Yes, at first you will work more slowly when you have to do the math and learn how to write it out in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] - compliments for doing it anyway :)

What I was hinting at was to define [itex]\theta[/itex] as the angle between the ingoing and outgoing momentum, and writing
[tex]\vec p_i \cdot \vec p_f = |\vec p_i| |\vec p_f| \cos\theta = 2 |\vec p| \cos\theta[/tex].

Then you can take [itex]\sqrt{2}p[/itex] outside the square root, if you want to write it more beautifully.

1. What is the norm of a vector?

The norm of a vector is a measure of its length or magnitude. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector.

2. How do you calculate the norm of a vector with two vectors?

To calculate the norm of a vector with two vectors, you first need to add the square of each component from both vectors, then take the square root of the sum. This can be represented as √(a1^2 + b1^2 + a2^2 + b2^2).

3. What is the difference between the norm of a vector and the magnitude of a vector?

The norm of a vector and the magnitude of a vector are essentially the same thing. Both terms refer to the length or magnitude of a vector. However, the term "magnitude" is more commonly used in physics, while "norm" is used in linear algebra and mathematics.

4. How is the norm of a vector used in real life?

The norm of a vector is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. In physics, it is used to calculate the total force of multiple forces acting on an object. In engineering, it is used to determine the strength of a structure. In computer science, it is used in machine learning and data analysis to measure the distance between data points.

5. Can the norm of a vector be negative?

No, the norm of a vector cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the length or magnitude of the vector. In mathematical terms, the norm is defined as the absolute value (or modulus) of the vector.