Is the shaft exerting 600 pounds of force on the table?

In summary, force is measured on a table in units of Newtons (N) using a force meter or scale. The amount of force on a table is affected by the weight of objects, the force of gravity, and the strength of the table material. Every table has a maximum weight limit and the size of objects can also impact the force on a table if their weight is not evenly distributed. The force on a table can change over time with the addition or removal of objects, as well as due to environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.
mrbug
I have a shaft laying across a table. At each end of the shaft I have a cylinder. Each cylinder is capable of appling 300 pounds of force. My question is; Is the shaft applying 600 pounds of force to the table or just 300?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looking at the most basic load, i.e. no moments...600 pounds force (assuming both cylinders are applying a force).

Basic statics: [tex]\Sigma F_y = 0[/tex]

Thanks for the quick response and help.

1. How is force measured on a table?

Force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) using a force meter or scale. The force meter is placed on the table and the reading on the scale indicates the amount of force acting on the table.

2. What factors affect the amount of force on a table?

The amount of force on a table is affected by the weight of objects placed on the table, as well as the force of gravity acting on those objects. The type and strength of the table material can also impact the amount of force it can withstand.

3. Is there a maximum amount of force a table can withstand?

Yes, every table has a maximum weight limit or load capacity that is determined by the materials and design of the table. Exceeding this limit can result in damage to the table or even collapse.

4. How does the size of objects affect the force on a table?

The size of objects can affect the force on a table if the weight of those objects is not evenly distributed. For example, a heavy object placed on one side of the table may create more force on that side compared to a lighter object placed on the other side.

5. Can the force on a table change over time?

Yes, the force on a table can change over time if additional objects are added or removed from the table. Additionally, factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the force on a table by affecting the weight and properties of the objects on the table.