Laplace Equation on semi-infinite plate

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a thin semi-infinite plate made of an isotropic conductive material. The voltage at an arbitrary distance x from the end of the plate was found to be V(x)=V0*10^(-x/d), which satisfied all boundary conditions and was the correct answer. However, it was noted that this solution did not satisfy Laplace's equation, but instead satisfied Poisson's equation. This is because the electrostatic potential only satisfies Laplace's equation in regions where the charge density is zero, and in this case, the conductor had a non-zero charge density. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of using epsilon_0*(ln10)^2*exp(-x/d) as the charge
ZombieCat
Hello all!

I just finished the following problem:

Consider a thin semi-infinite plate of negligible thickness made of an isotropic conductive material. A voltage V0=1V is applied at x=0 on the plate (across the short dimension). At a distance x=d=1cm from the end (x=0) V is measured to be .1V. Find the voltage V(x) at an arbitrary distance x from the end.

In my first attempt I got V(x)=-90*x+1, which is a solution to the Laplace equation in 1D, but does not match the boundary condition at infinity.

I tried the problem again and got V(x)=V0*10^(-x/d), which matches all boundary conditions and is the correct answer. My question is why doesn't this solution satisfy the Laplace equation? Does it have to? Why/why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrostatic potential only satisfies Laplace's equation in regions where the charge density is zero. The rest of the time it satisfies Poisson's equation.

Oh dangit! Cause we're dealing with a conductor gotcha! So I guess the epsilon_0*(ln10)^2*exp(-x/d) would be the charge density as a function of x.

Thanks!

*Maybe I should rename myself "the phorgetful physicist"...

What is the Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate?

The Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of temperature or potential in a semi-infinite plate with no heat or potential sources.

What are the boundary conditions for the Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate?

The boundary conditions for the Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate are that the temperature or potential is constant at the edges of the plate and approaches a fixed value at infinity.

How is the Laplace Equation solved on a semi-infinite plate?

The Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate is typically solved using the method of separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a product of functions of different variables that satisfy the boundary conditions.

What are the applications of the Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate?

The Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate has applications in heat transfer, electrostatics, and fluid flow systems that involve semi-infinite geometries.

What are the limitations of the Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate?

The Laplace Equation on a semi-infinite plate assumes a steady-state condition and does not account for transient effects or heat or potential sources within the plate. It also assumes a homogeneous material with constant thermal or electrical conductivity.