Amplification Testing for Headphone Amplifier Modifications

In summary, renegg tried to modify a headphone amplifier using multisim software, but didn't know what tool to use to see if his circuit was actually amplifying or making any change. He used an oscilloscope to try and figure out what was happening, but found that his output waveform was distorted. He eventually figured out that he needed to reduce his input voltage and try different feedback ratios to get a usable amplifier.
renegg
Hi everyone, I been trying to modify a headphone amplifier that I have to make it better for my specific headphone response. The thing is that I am using multisim software to test before actually making the physical changes, the problem is that I don't know what tool to use to see if my circuit is actually amplifying or making any change. As the input I am using a function generator with 1khz and 10V of amplitude, but in the output I don't quite know if I need to use the oscilloscope, or any other specific tool to graph the changes. I did try to use the oscilloscope, in a schematic I found in a headphone forum, and I didn’t know what the amplification was, since I was giving a sine wave as input, and the output which came from an opamp was a square wave, so I got kind of confused. So that’s why I am asking.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
renegg said:
Hi everyone, I been trying to modify a headphone amplifier that I have to make it better for my specific headphone response. The thing is that I am using multisim software to test before actually making the physical changes, the problem is that I don't know what tool to use to see if my circuit is actually amplifying or making any change. As the input I am using a function generator with 1khz and 10V of amplitude, but in the output I don't quite know if I need to use the oscilloscope, or any other specific tool to graph the changes. I did try to use the oscilloscope, in a schematic I found in a headphone forum, and I didn’t know what the amplification was, since I was giving a sine wave as input, and the output which came from an opamp was a square wave, so I got kind of confused. So that’s why I am asking.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Hello renegg.I would have thought that an oscilloscope is the best instrument to use for this.To get good amplification your output waveform should be similar to your input waveform but with larger amplitude.Since you are getting a square wave output it seems that your op amp is going to saturation i.e. acting like a switch rather than an amp.Perhaps you should try reducing your input voltage(10v seems enormous) and perhaps, your feedback ratio whilst the scope is connected to the output. Anyway,I am really rusty on this stuff and I know that there are electronics experts on this forum,hopefully someone will come in with better advice.

Last edited:
10 volts of input would overdrive most amplifiers. Try 100 mV or 0.1 Volts peak to peak.
The output should look like a sinewave without any distortion and it should probably be bigger than the input, depending on the circuit.

Actually, a headphone amplifier is partly about an impedance change so you can drive 8 ohm headphones when the rest of the circuit would be unable to drive them. So the actual voltage gain may not be all that much, but it should maintain a sinewave across a low impedance load like headphones.
You should certainly use an Oscilloscope for this. That will tell you if you have distorted output or not.

I have used that software and a predecessor of it and I found most of the time I was trying to keep the software happy and not achieving anything. It seemed extremely fussy about how you used it.

Why don't you make the circuit for real and test it for real and then decide if you need to modify it? That is a lot more fun than playing with simulators.
Put the circuit on here if you would like an opinion or two about it.

Ok that was the problem I was giving to much voltage, with 10 volts I was seeing disorted waves as the output. With you're recomendations of .1 volts I can see know the amplification I am getting. And certailnly I will post the schematic here, since I don't have that much of experience designing and suggeestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for you're responses.

1. How do I know if my amplification is working?

The best way to test the effectiveness of your amplification is to use a control group. This group should not receive any amplification treatment, while the other experimental groups do. Then, you can compare the results between the control group and the experimental groups to see if there is a significant increase in the desired outcome.

2. What is the most reliable method for testing amplification?

The most reliable method for testing amplification is through quantitative analysis. This involves measuring the amount of the desired outcome before and after the amplification process. This method allows for accurate and precise measurement of the amplification's effectiveness.

3. How can I ensure accurate and consistent results when testing amplification?

To ensure accurate and consistent results when testing amplification, it is important to use proper controls and standardization techniques. This includes using the same equipment, reagents, and protocols for each experimental group, as well as having a sufficient sample size for statistical analysis.

4. Can amplification be overdone and result in false results?

Yes, amplification can be overdone and lead to false results. This is known as PCR bias, where the amplification process can favor certain DNA sequences and result in an inaccurate representation of the original sample. It is important to carefully control the amplification process to avoid this bias.

5. Are there any potential pitfalls to avoid when testing amplification?

One potential pitfall to avoid when testing amplification is contamination. This can occur if proper precautions are not taken during the amplification process, and can lead to false results. It is important to use clean equipment and proper techniques to avoid contamination.