Solving Definite Integral Problem: Average Velocity of Ball Dropped from Rest

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average velocity of a ball dropped from rest over a given time interval. The average velocity during the first half of the interval is shown to be 1/3 of the average velocity during the second half, and the formula for calculating average velocity is mentioned.
quarky
Please help me! I got stuck on this problem:
(1) A ball is dropped from rest, and after t seconds its velocity is v ft/sec. Neglecting air resistance, show that the average velocity during the first T/2 seconds is 1/3 of the average velocity during the next T/2 seconds.
Will I integrate v? If so, what it is a function of?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]v(t)=gt[/tex]
[tex]<v_1>=\frac{1}{\frac{T}{2}}\int_0^{\frac{T}{2}}gtdt[/tex]
[tex]<v_2>=\frac{1}{\frac{T}{2}}\int_{\frac{T}{2}}^Tgtdt[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{v}{g}[/tex]
You can figure out the rest I think.

Last edited:
quarky said:
Will I integrate v? If so, what it is a function of?
v is a function of time. Do you remember how to obtain the average of a function over an interval?

A = 1/(b-a) S f(x) dx, where S is the intergral from a to b as ur limits

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It involves dividing a region into small rectangles and finding the sum of their areas to approximate the total area. As the number of rectangles increases, the approximation becomes more accurate. In the context of physics, a definite integral can also be used to find the average velocity of an object over a given time interval.

2. How is a definite integral used to solve for average velocity?

A definite integral is used to solve for average velocity by finding the area under a velocity-time graph. The average velocity is equal to the total displacement divided by the total time. By finding the area under the curve, we are essentially finding the total displacement. Dividing this by the total time gives us the average velocity.

3. What is the formula for solving for average velocity using a definite integral?

The formula for finding average velocity using a definite integral is:
v_avg = (1/b-a) * ∫ab v(t) dt
Where v_avg is the average velocity, b is the ending time, a is the starting time, and v(t) is the velocity function.

4. Can a definite integral be used to find the average velocity of any object?

Yes, a definite integral can be used to find the average velocity of any object as long as the velocity function is known. This can be applied to various scenarios such as an object moving in a straight line or an object undergoing acceleration or deceleration.

5. How can definite integrals be applied to real-life situations?

Definite integrals have a wide range of applications in real-life situations. They are used in physics to solve problems related to motion, such as finding the average velocity of an object. They are also used in economics to calculate total revenue and profit. Additionally, definite integrals are used in engineering, biology, and many other fields to model and analyze various phenomena.