Take on older Physics Students

In summary, older students have a harder time with academics and may have more difficulty with professors who are younger than them. However, if they are successful in finding a professor who is more experienced, they should be able to get along just fine.
Major_Energy
Hi All,

I was wondering, what has been your experiences / observations with older physics students (30 - somethings), either as peers or as a TA / Prof. What generally do they have an easier time with / harder time with / getting along with others in academia.

I'll be returning to college in Sping and hoping to get some awareness on some things anyone has noticed as trends. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pro's:

1. You have a lot more motivation and understand WHY you're studying.
2. You're generally more disciplined.
3. You aren't scared to ask and/or debate until you're satisfied with the answer we're given.

Cons:

1. Years of abuse and inactivity has left your brain somewhat addled and you may have to study slightly harder than the youngsters.

They seem to have kids and are married meaning they have lives outside of school. It's strange and confusing at times. Outside of the fact that I've never seen an immature older student, I don't see a difference.

ooo and after seeing what was previously posted, one thing is brought to my attention. It seems like older students sometimes have a real problem being taught by people who are younger than them. They think "hey, you're still 20-something" or maybe a bit older and think "why should I listen to you?". It's a pride issue. The fact is that even if someone is younger then you, if they're your instructor, they by all means know more than you and should be seen in a position of authority when it comes to the subject at hand.

Last edited:
phyzmatix said:
Pro's:

1. You have a lot more motivation and understand WHY you're studying.
2. You're generally more disciplined.
3. You aren't scared to ask and/or debate until you're satisfied with the answer we're given.

Cons:

1. Years of abuse and inactivity has left your brain somewhat addled and you may have to study slightly harder than the youngsters.

I'll ditto this, being an 'older' student. I have no problem admitting that my professors are smarter than me. TA's on the other hand...oi...but it doesn't matter; when I have a question that I cannot answer on my own, I go to a Professor, not a TA.

I am sure it varies from major to major.

Saladsamurai said:
I go to a Professor, not a TA.

I think this connects well with my third point. You generally don't hold these academics in such awe as you might have when you were younger and have no issues with approaching them with a query as you realize they're your best choice and that they're ultimately only human :biggrin:

phyzmatix said:
Cons:

Oh boy, I can relate to that... Takes me three times as long to even figure out what pen to use.

Hi, this is just what I have been looking for. I am currently attending University and have decided to explore a career in Astrophysics. I am just a little worried that my age might affect my chances of being successful. I haven't taken any related classes yet because I originally chose to major in Art. (I know, they're a world apart) I am going to be 39 in a week. Are you or do you know anyone who is of such an advanced age and deciding to go into a science career? I know that I will have to study a lot more than people younger than me. But when I did graduate would I be impaired by being so much older than all the other new graduates in the field?

One of my classmate in my freshman/sophmore physics/math course was a 60 (or close) year old. He had studied business (or perhaps arts) back in 70s and came back to the same university as a math major. In those physics/math courses, he was older than all professors (ranging from 30 - 50 i would guess) but had no problem asking question.

P.S. he asked TAs even more questions lol

Last edited:

What is the purpose of "Take on older Physics Students"?

The purpose of "Take on older Physics Students" is to provide an opportunity for older individuals who are interested in pursuing physics to receive mentorship and guidance from experienced scientists. This can help them catch up on any missed education or training and give them the necessary support to succeed in their studies.

Who can participate in "Take on older Physics Students"?

Anyone who is interested in pursuing physics and is considered an "older" student (typically over the age of 25) can participate in "Take on older Physics Students". This program is open to individuals of all backgrounds and levels of education.

What benefits do older physics students gain from "Take on older Physics Students"?

Some of the benefits that older physics students can gain from participating in "Take on older Physics Students" include mentorship from experienced scientists, access to resources and guidance to catch up on any missed education or training, and a supportive community of peers who are also pursuing physics at a later stage in life.

How is "Take on older Physics Students" different from traditional physics education programs?

"Take on older Physics Students" differs from traditional physics education programs in that it specifically caters to the needs of older students, who may have different backgrounds and experiences compared to younger students. This program also focuses on providing mentorship and support to help older students succeed in their studies.

Can "Take on older Physics Students" help older individuals transition into careers in physics?

Yes, "Take on older Physics Students" can help older individuals transition into careers in physics by providing them with the necessary education, training, and support to succeed in their studies. This program can also connect them with potential job opportunities and help them build a network within the physics community.