Underground Piping for a house

• Thread starter kjsigpa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piping
In summary, the conversation is about a project that requires burying pipe to reduce the temperature of water. The input temperature is 70 degrees and the desired output is 60 degrees with a flow rate of 5 gallons per minute. The average underground temperature is 53 degrees. The person is looking for help with calculations and formulas to show how to achieve this. It is suggested to assume a constant ground temperature for the first estimate.
kjsigpa
Hello everyone, I appreciate any help you can provide me in this project.

Here is what I need to know...

How much pipe (probably some form of poly ethelene) do I need to bury to reduce the temperature of the water inside?

My input temperature should be about 70. Output desired is 60 or so. One inch pipe. Five gallons per minute flow rate. Average underground temperature is about 53.

I need to be able to show the calculations so please show me the formulas and what the variables mean.

Thanks for your time,
Jay

Engineering news on Phys.org
This problem is pretty difficult because it involves accounting for the heat capacity and heat transfer capability of the ground. Except maybe for some rules of thumb on ground source heat pump loops (google for it), it probably doesn't have an easy answer.

Thanks Russ,

I am going to have to get through the calculations. Can you help?

Jay

1. What is underground piping for a house?

Underground piping for a house refers to the network of pipes that are installed beneath the ground to carry water, gas, or sewage to and from a house.

2. What materials are used for underground piping?

The most commonly used materials for underground piping are PVC (polyvinyl chloride), HDPE (high-density polyethylene), and copper. Each material has its own advantages and is chosen based on the specific needs of the piping system.

3. How deep should underground piping be installed?

The depth at which underground piping should be installed depends on various factors such as climate, soil type, and local building codes. However, a general rule of thumb is to bury the pipes at least 18 inches deep to protect them from freezing temperatures and damage.

4. How long does underground piping last?

The lifespan of underground piping varies depending on the material used, installation process, and maintenance. On average, PVC pipes can last up to 50 years, HDPE pipes can last up to 100 years, and copper pipes can last up to 50 years.

5. What are the common issues with underground piping?

The common issues with underground piping include leaks, clogs, and corrosion. These can occur due to improper installation, damage from external factors such as tree roots or shifting soil, or lack of maintenance. Regular inspections and timely repairs can help prevent these issues.