Find if a function is the Laplace transform of a periodic function

In summary, the homework statement asks if a function is the Laplace transform of a periodic function. The steps function is not periodic, so it is not the Laplace transform of a periodic function.
libelec

Homework Statement

Could [tex]\[F(s) = \frac{1}{{s(1 - {e^{ - s}})}}\][/tex] be the Laplace transform of some periodic function? Why? If so, find that periodic function

The Attempt at a Solution

If it was the Laplace transform of some periodic function, the the Laplace transform of the first wave should be 1/s, and the period T should be 1. The function whose Laplace transform is 1/s is H(t). Then the periodic function should be the stairs function, [tex]\[f(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
n,x \in [nT,(n + 1)T] \\
n + 1,x \in [(n + 1)T,(n + 2)T] \\
\end{array} \right.,n \in N + \left\{ 0 \right\}\][/tex]

Now, the stairs function is of exponential order, since it's smaller or equal than the function t+1 for all t, and that is an exponential order function. Then it has a Laplace transform.

So far, so good. If the stairs function transforms to F(s) there, then F(s) is the Laplace transform of some periodic function.

But I don't think that's what the exercise asks me to do, since a latter question asks me to find the periodic function. I think there's something I have to prove through F(s) that allows me to say that it is the Laplace transform of a periodic function.

But I don't know what is that.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking the answer is no and you should be thinking about the "why" rather than trying to find a periodic function. Your stairs function certainly isn't periodic...

Allright, it's true.

But then why couldn't it be periodic? Is it because the inverse Laplace transform of 1/s is H(t), and that isn't a periodic function? What does F(s) has to have to check if it belongs to a periodic function or not?

libelec said:
Allright, it's true.

But then why couldn't it be periodic? Is it because the inverse Laplace transform of 1/s is H(t), and that isn't a periodic function? What does F(s) has to have to check if it belongs to a periodic function or not?

Well, I didn't check your steps, but I assume you have the correct inverse with your staircase function. It isn't periodic and the FT is a 1-1 transform so doesn't that settle it?

Yes, but I thought there was another argument to say that. I mean, since the question seems to be theorical.

Anybody?

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a function that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that for any given input, the output will be the same as it was at previous intervals. An example of a periodic function is the sine wave, which repeats its values every 2π radians.

2. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a time-domain function into a frequency-domain function. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

3. How do I determine if a function is the Laplace transform of a periodic function?

To determine if a function is the Laplace transform of a periodic function, you can check if the function satisfies the conditions for periodicity, such as having a finite period or being bounded. Additionally, you can use the inverse Laplace transform to convert the function back to the time-domain and see if it repeats at regular intervals.

4. Can any function be the Laplace transform of a periodic function?

No, not all functions can be the Laplace transform of a periodic function. A function must satisfy certain conditions, such as being continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities, in order to be a valid Laplace transform of a periodic function.

5. What are some applications of finding if a function is the Laplace transform of a periodic function?

Some applications of determining if a function is the Laplace transform of a periodic function include analyzing the stability of systems in control theory, solving differential equations in physics and engineering, and modeling periodic phenomena in various fields such as economics and biology.