Should I Give Up On My PhD Program?

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
In summary, the individual put in their first year of an electrical engineering PhD program with partial support from a fellowship and a research assistantship. They felt they were not giving their full effort in classes or research and received a 3.2 GPA, which included three B minuses and two As. The minimum GPA for the first 30 credits is a 3.0 and a 3.5 for the last 18 credits. This indicates they may not be cut out for the PhD program, but their advisor believed they did well in their research, with two coauthor publications and winning a national competition. However, the individual feels they only contributed a small amount to these achievements. They took a one year leave of absence, but are
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I put in my first year in an electrical engineering PhD program. I was supported partly by a fellowship and partly by an RA. I felt like a wasn't giving it 100% in either my classes or my research. I got a 3.2 GPA in my first two terms, which included three B minuses and two As. Ouch. The minimum GPA in the first 30 credits of coursework is a 3.0 but the minimum GPA in the last 18 credits of coursework is a 3.5 The fact that I didn't make at least a 3.5 indicates that maybe I am not cut out for the PhD program, but I know in my heart I can do better. However, my advisor insists that I did well with my research. I got two coauthor publications and I participated in a national competition (our team won first place). However, I feel like I contributed a miniscule amount to both publications and for the competition all I did was write the conference paper and present the research at the conference (it was a Powerpoint presentation). Most of the actual work on the project was done by the other members of the team but I was the one that was praised for winning for competition simply because I was the one that went and gave the presentation (my advisor told me to go present it). For these reasons, I feel I like an impostor.

I felt like I wanted to drop out for several reasons but ended up taking a one year leave of absence (my advisor's suggestion after I told him I was going to drop out). I think I was trying a little too hard sometimes to impress people in the lab and I came across as arrogant (even though I tried my best to be as friendly as possible). I just came across as a know it all and this generated some animosity toward me from a couple others in the group. I felt my confidence slowly dwindling as this went on. A couple times I confronted those that were talking about me behind my back and perhaps I lost my temper and made a big deal out of something that was minor. I became overly paranoid about everything and started to think I was going to lose my RA funding, which turned out not to be true (apparently my advisor really liked me). I guess I just didn't have my head on straight. Also, I really wasn't all that interested in the research I was doing and I just wasn't happy. I wasn't focused and I felt like I needed some time away.

I would like to return in the Fall to finish my PhD but I am not sure I want to return to my old group. I tried to get an RA in another group. The prof told me back in October that she could find RA funding for me by next Fall. However, a couple weeks ago she told me to just sign up for a TA. I feel like I have wasted a lot of my time since she gave me some material to read in the meantime. I have a feeling she saw my grades and decided I wasn't worth taking on. I would like a TA though since I enjoy teaching and getting some teaching experience might be good if I decide to seek a professorship later on. Also, TAing might give me some more time to explore my options and decide what type of research I would really like to do. It would give me a chance to volunteer in a couple different labs to find where my passion lies. However, a TA is not guaranteed either (grades being a determining factor for hiring TAs) and not all of the TAs are full funding. Some only waive half tuition and pay half as much. I might end up having to take out students loans for the next couple of semesters, get my grades up, and reapply for RAs or TAs the following year. I could also try and get back into my old advisor's group but I don't think I made a good impression on the people in the group and I would like a fresh start somewhere else.

So what should I do? If I don't get an RA or TA position should I pay for the next year of my PhD out of pocket, get my grades up, and reapply for funding the following year or is it not worth it to pay out of pocket for a PhD?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_UG said:
So I put in my first year in an electrical engineering PhD program. I was supported partly by a fellowship and partly by an RA. I felt like a wasn't giving it 100% in either my classes or my research. I got a 3.2 GPA in my first two terms, which included three B minuses and two As. Ouch. The minimum GPA in the first 30 credits of coursework is a 3.0 but the minimum GPA in the last 18 credits of coursework is a 3.5 The fact that I didn't make at least a 3.5 indicates that maybe I am not cut out for the PhD program, but I know in my heart I can do better. However, my advisor insists that I did well with my research. I got two coauthor publications and I participated in a national competition. Our team won first place. However, I feel like I contributed a miniscule amount to both publications and for the competition all I did was write the conference paper and present the research at the conference (it was a Powerpoint presentation). Most of the actual work on the project was done by other members of the team but I was the one that was praised for the willing for competition simply because I was the one that went and gave the presentation. For these reasons, I feel I have a case of the impostor syndrome.

I decided to take a leave of absence (my advisor's suggestion) for several reasons. I think I was trying a little too hard sometimes to impress people in the lab and I came across as arrogant (even though I tried my best to be as friendly as possible). I just came across as a know it all and this generated some animosity toward me from a couple others in the group. These students started tattling on me and making snide remarks about me behind my back (while was usually in earshot). I felt my confidence slowly dwindling as this went on. A couple times I confronted those that were talking about me behind my back and perhaps I lost my temper and made a big deal out of something that was minor. I became overly paranoid about everything and started to think I was going to lose my RA funding, which turned out not to be true (apparently my advisor really liked me). I guess I just didn't have my head on straight. Also, I really wasn't all that interested in the research I was doing and I just wasn't happy.

I would like to return in the Fall to finish my PhD. I tried to get an RA in another group. The prof told me back in October that she could find RA funding for me by next Fall. However, a couple weeks ago she told me to just sign up for a TA. I feel like I have wasted a lot of my time since she gave me some material to read in the meantime. I have a feeling she saw my grades and decided I wasn't worth taking on. I would like a TA though since I enjoy teaching and getting some teaching experience might be good if I decide to seek a professorship later on. Also, TAing might give me some more time to explore my options and decide what type of research I would really like to do. It would give me a chance to volunteer in a couple different labs. However, a TA is not guaranteed either and not all of the TAs are full funding. Some only waive half tuition and pay half as much. I might end up having to take out students loans for the next couple semesters, get my grades up, and reapply for RAs or TAs the following year. I could also try and get back into my old advisor's group but I don't think I made a good impression on the people in the group and I would like a fresh start somewhere else.

So what should I do? IF I don't get an RA or TA position should I pay for the next year of my PhD out of pocket, get my grades up, and reapply for funding the following year or is it not worth it to pay out of pocket for a PhD?

That's kind of a sad story. Are you sure you are just not going down the wrong path? Your heart did not seem to be in it. I'm sure you have the ability, but your motivation seems to be lacking. I'm not one who believes lack of motivation is always a result of laziness. Often, it is a result of not following your true calling.

Only you can answer what the issue is. I'd say make sure that you know what you want to do with your life. Once you decide, do it 100%. Then you will have no regrets.

elect_eng said:
That's kind of a sad story. Are you sure you are just not going down the wrong path? Your heart did not seem to be in it. I'm sure you have the ability, but your motivation seems to be lacking. I'm not one who believes lack of motivation is always a result of laziness. Often, it is a result of not following your true calling.

Only you can answer what the issue is. I'd say make sure that you know what you want to do with your life. Once you decide, do it 100%. Then you will have no regrets.

Thanks. In my heart I want to finish the PhD program. I am just not sure the school wants to give me another chance.

Physics_UG said:
Thanks. In my heart I want to finish the PhD program. I am just not sure the school wants to give me another chance.

All, you can do is apply. I you are accepted, then they are willing to give you another chance. Once you get the chance, give them your best. You know the saying, "You can't keep a good man down."

I suppose you can start fresh somewhere else, but I would only do that if I felt the school was not a good match to my interests. Otherwise, I'd rather go there and set things right. I'd want to prove to anyone who doubted me that they were wrong to do so. Not in a vindictive way, mind you, but only in the spirit of a champion.

I understand the challenges and pressures that come with pursuing a PhD. It is not an easy journey and it is normal to have doubts and struggles along the way. However, it is important to remember why you started this program in the first place and to assess your goals and motivations.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems that you have had a mix of successes and challenges in your first year of the program. While your GPA may not meet the minimum requirements, it is important to remember that grades are not the only measure of success in a PhD program. Your advisor has expressed satisfaction with your research and you have also achieved some notable accomplishments like co-authoring publications and winning a national competition. These are all indicators that you have the potential to succeed in this program.

It is also important to acknowledge the issues you have faced in your interactions with others in your lab. While it is understandable to want to impress and do well in your research, it is important to maintain a positive and collaborative attitude with your colleagues. It may be worth reflecting on your behavior and finding ways to improve your communication and interactions with others.

In terms of your future plans, it is good that you have taken a leave of absence to re-evaluate your goals and motivations. If you do decide to return to the program, it may be beneficial to have a conversation with your advisor about your concerns and your desire for a fresh start. They may be able to offer guidance and support in finding a new group or project that aligns with your interests.

As for funding, it is understandable that you may be worried about the financial implications of continuing your PhD. It may be worth exploring other funding options, such as scholarships or grants, to support your studies. Additionally, taking on a TA position can not only provide financial support, but also valuable teaching experience that can be beneficial for future career opportunities.

In the end, the decision to continue or leave a PhD program is a personal one and should be based on your own goals and motivations. I would encourage you to take the time to reflect on your experiences and have open and honest conversations with your advisor and other mentors to help guide your decision. Remember that it is never too late to change course and pursue your passions. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

1. Is there any hope for me to achieve my goals?

Yes, there is always hope for you to achieve your goals. With hard work, determination, and a positive attitude, you can overcome any obstacle and reach your goals.

2. Will I ever be successful in my career?

It is possible for you to be successful in your career. Success is defined differently for everyone, but with perseverance, continuous learning, and adapting to challenges, you can achieve success in your career.

3. Can I change my current situation and be happier?

You have the power to change your current situation and find happiness. By setting goals, making positive changes, and focusing on the present moment, you can improve your situation and find happiness.

4. Will I ever find love and have a fulfilling relationship?

Finding love and having a fulfilling relationship is possible for you. It may take time and effort, but by being open to new experiences, working on yourself, and being patient, you can find love and have a fulfilling relationship.

5. Is it too late for me to make a change in my life?

No, it is never too late to make a change in your life. Whether it's a small or big change, taking action towards your goals and dreams can lead to a more fulfilling life. It's never too late to start working towards what you want.