A basic question in general relativity

In summary, the interval between two events is still conserved when changing frames in general relativity, but it's not globally conserved.
David_cronin
Dear all,

First, please forgive my english, I am French.

In most textbooks on general relativity (GR) the non trivial geometry is introduced in this way : the equivalence principle says that we can forget gravity as a force and consider an accelerated frame. As this frame is accelerated it is not inertial and therefore the interval (ds^2=dt^2-dx^2) is not conserved anymore (special relativity (SR) teaches us the the interval in conserved but only when going from an inertial frame to another). As the interval encodes the geometry, we see why a non-trivial (non-euclidean) geometry appears.
Sounds good to me.
BUT : in many course on GR, I see that people use the fact that the interval is in fact still conserved when changing frame in GR !
So, I am a bit confused...

Thanks for your help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny question, and I had to think a little about this :P But I think the confusion arises from the following.

In special relativity the symmetry group is the Poincare group ISO(d-1,1): translations and rotations in spacetime. This is a global symmetrygroup; the transformations don't depend on the coordinates, just on the velocity. Indeed, these transformations are between inertial observers.

In general relativity the symmetry group is GL(4): the group of general coordinate transformations (General Linear transformations in d=4). This is a local symmetrygroup; the transformations can depend on the coordinates.

So in special relativity, ds^2 is a scalar under Poincare transformations, so if you perform transformations which are NOT Poincare (for instance, you go to an accelerating observer) the interval ds^2 will change.

Does this answer your question?

I would suggest not using the word "conserved" for this. When something is conserved, we mean that it stays the same from one time to the next. The spacetime interval ds^2 isn't conserved, it's frame-invariant.

GR is locally the same as SR. Locally, you can apply a Lorentz boost, and ds^2 stays the same.

But notice that ds^2 is the square of an infinitesimally small number. What's different in GR is that GR isn't globally the same. In SR it makes sense to ask what is the interval between two widely separated events. In GR, this would only make sense if you specified a path from one event to the other.

You have to introduce the proper metric tensor [tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] that conserves [tex]ds^2 [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of general relativity?

The theory of general relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between gravity and the structure of space and time. It is a theory of gravity that explains how objects with mass interact with each other and how they affect the curvature of space and time.

2. How is general relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

General relativity is different from Newton's theory of gravity in several ways. First, it is a more comprehensive theory that not only explains the force of gravity but also the structure of space and time. Additionally, it can explain phenomena that Newton's theory cannot, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the existence of black holes.

3. What are the main principles of general relativity?

The main principles of general relativity are the equivalence principle, which states that the effects of gravity are equivalent to the effects of acceleration, and the principle of covariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion or position.

4. How does general relativity affect our understanding of the universe?

General relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped us explain the motion of planets, the behavior of light, and the structure of the universe on a large scale. It has also led to the prediction and discovery of new phenomena, such as gravitational waves.

5. Are there any practical applications of general relativity?

Yes, there are several practical applications of general relativity. It is essential for the accurate functioning of GPS systems, as the satellites rely on precise measurements of time and space that are affected by the curvature of space-time. It is also used in various fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and aerospace engineering.