Water content of the human body

In summary, the percentage of water in the human body varies by tissue, with lean muscle tissue containing the highest percentage of water at 75% by weight. The typical male/female water percentages by mass are 62% for men and 51% for women, but this can vary. The water percentage decreases as BMI rises, but the increase in adipose tissue has a very small effect on body water. For every additional unit of adipose tissue, the total water content increases by 10-25% of a unit.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was wondering how the total amount of water in a typical human varies by weight and sex.

I saw a site claiming that the typical male/female water percentages by mass were 62% for men and 51% for women; fair enough, though I've seen higher figures. (I'm more concerned with the ratio between the two than the absolute level, in both cases.)

It also says (understandably) that the water percentage decreases as BMI rises. The particular figures it gives, though, are hard for me to swallow. Consider a range of people with identical height (or a single person gaining or losing weight), so that their weights are proportional to their BMI. At the obesity threshold, the water weight would be 30 * 48% = 14.4 units; at the morbidly obese theshold, the water weight would be 40 * 36% = 14.4 units. That would suggest that gaining weight (at least past a certain point) does not increase the amount of water in the body, which seems questionable to me.

Does anyone have better figures? Or know of a database that records appropriate information to determine the answer?

Biology news on Phys.org
My gut feeling would be the lower the BMI the lower the water percentage, as water resides mainly in soft tissues (is that an English term? Thats how these things are called in Polish).

You are asking a good question- the water content of various tissues has been measured (simply weighing and drying) way back in the 1930's.. I have a moldy book around here somewhere with the data... I did find this on wiki which is close to what I recall:

"Regarding specific tissues: Lean muscle tissue contains about 75% water by weight. Blood contains almost 70% water, body fat contains 10% water and bone has 22% water. Skin also contains much water. The human body is about 60% water in adult males and 55% in adult females."

Aside from whether or not the BMI is an accurate index of body fat composition, it's clear that increasing the amount of adipose tissue has a very small effect on body water.

But it may not be as simple as that- adipose tissue requires a blood supply as well. IIRC, losing a pound of weight corresponds to 75% fat and 25% blood/support tissue, but I can't find a reference that supports that. This abstract

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/pdf_extract/23/5/621

points out that the ratio of adipose tissue to blood supply is not constant, and for obese subjects, the relative amount of blood supply is very small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick said:
body fat contains 10% water

Surprise

Now I feel like if my BWI (Brain Water Index) was above average.

Andy Resnick said:
You are asking a good question- the water content of various tissues has been measured (simply weighing and drying) way back in the 1930's.. I have a moldy book around here somewhere with the data... I did find this on wiki which is close to what I recall:

"Regarding specific tissues: Lean muscle tissue contains about 75% water by weight. Blood contains almost 70% water, body fat contains 10% water and bone has 22% water. Skin also contains much water. The human body is about 60% water in adult males and 55% in adult females."

Aside from whether or not the BMI is an accurate index of body fat composition, it's clear that increasing the amount of adipose tissue has a very small effect on body water.

But it may not be as simple as that- adipose tissue requires a blood supply as well. IIRC, losing a pound of weight corresponds to 75% fat and 25% blood/support tissue, but I can't find a reference that supports that. This abstract

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/pdf_extract/23/5/621

points out that the ratio of adipose tissue to blood supply is not constant, and for obese subjects, the relative amount of blood supply is very small.

Great, thanks for the info! That actually makes sense -- much more than the page I was looking at, at least.

So for every additional mass unit of adipose tissue, the total water content should increase by 10% (1*0.1) to 25% (0.75*0.1 + 0.25*0.7) of a unit. A 150-pound male who is 60% water would have to gain 90 to 225 (!) pounds to increase his constituent water by a quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What percentage of the human body is made up of water?

The average adult human body is about 60% water. This percentage can vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.

2. How much water should I drink each day to maintain proper hydration?

The recommended daily intake of water for adults is approximately 2 liters, or about 8 cups. However, this can vary based on individual factors such as physical activity level and climate.

3. Does the water content of the body change over time?

Yes, the water content of the body can change over time. Factors such as age, body composition, and overall health can affect the amount of water present in the body.

4. What are the consequences of dehydration on the human body?

Dehydration can lead to a variety of negative effects on the human body, including fatigue, dizziness, and decreased cognitive function. In severe cases, it can also lead to organ failure and even death.

5. How does the body maintain its water balance?

The body maintains its water balance through a process called homeostasis, which involves regulating the amount of water that enters and leaves the body through various mechanisms such as thirst, urination, and perspiration.