Generating 40KHz Signal Bursts with 555 Timers

• Thread starter cat1cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the individual components of the circuit may not work well together to produce a burst of signals. It is suggested to use a counter with 40 kHz crystals for better stability and a more precise burst duration. The CD4020, CD4040, CD4060, and HEF4521 are recommended for this purpose. Alternatively, the output of the monostable circuit can be connected to the reset input of the astable for a single or triggered burst, or the first 555 can be configured as an astable for regular repetitions of the 40 kHz burst.
cat1cat
hi. I have a project in hand. I have to make a 40 Khz continious wave into a burst of signals.
for this i am using 2 555 timers . 1st astable circuit and the output goes to the triger of the monostable circuit and then the output of this circuit is ANDed with the 40Khz continious waves from other circuit. Will this whole set it give burst of signal? please help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, that will not work.

The monostable will trigger again when it finishes the time-out because it is getting a continuous stream of pulses.

You could drive a counter with the 40 KHz pulses and then use the output of this to gate the 40 KHz pulses.

You can get crystals for 40 KHz and these would give much better stability than an astable.

If you wanted to consider the counter idea, have a look at the data sheets for the CD4020 CD4040 and CD4060 or the 74HC4020 etc.
You can string these together to get division by powers of 2.
Divisions like 8192, 16384 are available so you could get square wave outputs of 4.88 Hz and 2.44 Hz, so you could get bursts of 40 KHz for 0.1024 seconds or 0.2048 seconds

Another chip worth knowing about is the HEF4521 which will divide by up to 16777216 which would give a period of 419 seconds from your oscillator but you can get shorter times than this. Outputs of 2^18 to 2^24 are available. 40000 divided by 2^18 is 6.55 seconds, so you could get bursts of 3.28 seconds.

Have a look at this page for other counters:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/f/counter.htm

cat1cat said:
hi. I have a project in hand. I have to make a 40 Khz continious wave into a burst of signals.
for this i am using 2 555 timers . 1st astable circuit and the output goes to the triger of the monostable circuit and then the output of this circuit is ANDed with the 40Khz continious waves from other circuit. Will this whole set it give burst of signal? please help...

Do you need just a single burst of 40 kHz or a repetitive burst?

For a single burst or a triggered burst, why not connect the output of the monostable to the reset input of the astable. For regular repetitions of the 40 kHz burst, just make the first 555 astable instead of monostable.

1. What is a 555 timer and how does it work?

A 555 timer is an integrated circuit that can be used to generate precise and stable timing signals. It works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and transistors to create an oscillating output signal.

2. Why would I need to generate a 40KHz signal burst?

A 40KHz signal burst can be used for a variety of purposes, such as in ultrasonic sensors, remote controls, and medical equipment. It is also commonly used in communication systems.

3. How do I generate a 40KHz signal burst using a 555 timer?

To generate a 40KHz signal burst, you will need to configure the 555 timer in astable mode. This means setting the timing components (resistors and capacitors) to specific values that will create a 40KHz oscillating output signal.

4. Can I adjust the duration of the 40KHz signal burst?

Yes, the duration of the 40KHz signal burst can be adjusted by changing the values of the timing components. The formula for calculating the duration is t=0.7(R1+2R2)C, where t is in seconds, R1 and R2 are the resistors, and C is the capacitor.

5. Are there any limitations to generating a 40KHz signal burst with a 555 timer?

Yes, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. The 555 timer can only generate signals up to a certain frequency, so if you need a higher frequency, you will need to use a different circuit. Additionally, the accuracy and stability of the timing components can affect the precision of the signal burst.