Valves, seals, and latches

• Thread starter dcbloemer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valves
In summary, the conversation was about a physics major who is interested in engineering and is looking for resources to learn more about basic mechanisms and mechanical mating devices. Simon from Big Blue Saw suggested checking out the McMaster-Carr website and also recommended looking at catalogs from specialized suppliers for more information and CAD models.
dcbloemer
Hello folks. I'm a physics major, but have recently become more interested in engineering. I've been playing around with emachineshop and SolidWorks and tinkering with designs, but I am finding that I have a pretty poor working knowledge of basic mechanisms - in particular, I am having trouble mating parts.

So my question is: Is there a website, or database, or even a good book where I can browse such devices, preferably with short descriptions, pictures, or schematics? In particular, I am interested in mechanical mating devices like latches, valves, seals, and the like.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks very much and happy engineering!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simon from Big Blue Saw here. A good place to start is the McMaster-Carr website. They have a large variety of industrial products, and also have some technical data and even CAD models for the products they sell.

You might also take a look at the catalog from a specialized supplier of the products you're looking for.

1. What are valves, seals, and latches used for?

Valves, seals, and latches are used to control the flow of fluids or gases in a system. Valves are used to open or close the flow, seals are used to prevent leakage, and latches are used to secure and lock components in place.

2. How do valves, seals, and latches work?

Valves work by using a mechanism, such as a gate or ball, to open or close the flow of fluids. Seals work by creating a tight seal between two surfaces, preventing any leakage. Latches work by using a locking mechanism to secure components in place.

3. What materials are valves, seals, and latches typically made of?

Valves, seals, and latches can be made of a variety of materials, including metal, plastic, rubber, and ceramic. The specific material used depends on the application and the type of fluid or gas being controlled.

4. How do valves, seals, and latches differ from each other?

Valves, seals, and latches serve different purposes in a system. Valves control the flow of fluids, seals prevent leakage, and latches secure components in place. They also differ in their design and mechanism of operation.

5. What are some common applications of valves, seals, and latches?

Valves, seals, and latches are used in a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, automotive, and aerospace. Some common applications include controlling the flow of fluids in pipelines, sealing containers to prevent leakage, and securing doors and hatches in vehicles.