What are the forces on an object in near-Earth orbit?

• Thread starter Philosophaie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the forces on an object in the solar system in near-Earth orbit include Gravitation from Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets, and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole, Electromagnetic forces from Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets, and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole, variable Solar Wind Plasma from the Sun, Earth's Atmosphere, and Light, Gamma and X-rays from the Sun, Stars, Supernovas and Galaxies. However, the effects of other stars and galaxies are negligible and the specific forces and distances may vary depending on the object's location in near-Earth orbit. The purpose of this list is not clear and it may be more useful to ask specific questions
Philosophaie
Here is a list of some of the forces on an object in the solar system in near-Earth orbit:

Gravitation - Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole

Electromagnetic - Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole

Solar Wind Plasma from the Sun - Variable due to Solar Flares and its 11-year cycle

Earth' s Atmosphere

Light, Gamma and X-rays - Sun, Stars, Supernovas and Galaxies

Please feel free to add or chop up my list.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think it would be more useful for you to ask questions than to post lists of dubious utility.

Alright the Stars, Supernovas, Galaxies and Black Hole is going a little too far. I have a valid right to post my list. And it is not "dubious".

I think it would be more useful to ask questions. I have no idea what your point is.

Philosophaie said:
Here is a list of some of the forces on an object in the solar system in near-Earth orbit:

Gravitation - Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole

Electromagnetic - Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole

Solar Wind Plasma from the Sun - Variable due to Solar Flares and its 11-year cycle

Earth' s Atmosphere

Light, Gamma and X-rays - Sun, Stars, Supernovas and Galaxies

Please feel free to add or chop up my list.
"Light, Gamma and X-rays - Sun, Stars, Supernovas and Galaxies" is redundant with "Electromagnetic - Earth, Sun, Moon, Planets and the Milky Way's Supermassive Black Hole", and a supermassive black hole is about gravity, not EM, unless one is referring to the EM from matter surrounding the BH.

What does one mean by 'near-earth object'. LEO and GEO are near-earth distances, but the atmosphere is a more significant factor for LEO than GEO, and there's essentially no atmosphere at GEO, but rather the solar wind is more significant. Effects from other stars/galaxies are negligible, and more or less isotropic.

Other than a list of natural phenomena, it's not clear to us one's objective.

What is a near-Earth object?

A near-Earth object is any object in our solar system that comes within 1.3 astronomical units (AU) of the Sun's orbit, meaning it can potentially cross paths with Earth.

What forces act on near-Earth objects?

The main forces acting on near-Earth objects are gravity, radiation pressure, and solar wind. These forces can affect the object's trajectory and potentially cause it to collide with Earth.

How do scientists track near-Earth objects?

Scientists use telescopes, radar, and other instruments to track and monitor near-Earth objects. They also use mathematical models to predict the object's future path and potential risks.

What are the potential dangers of near-Earth objects?

Near-Earth objects can pose a threat to Earth if they collide with our planet. Depending on the size and composition of the object, the impact could cause significant damage and potentially lead to mass extinction events.

What are the current efforts to protect Earth from near-Earth objects?

NASA and other space agencies around the world have ongoing programs to identify and track near-Earth objects, as well as develop technologies to deflect or destroy potentially hazardous objects. These efforts include the development of early warning systems and collaboration with other countries to share information and resources.