Crash of two cars: What was the speed of car 1 at imact?

In summary, car 1 and car 2 collided with car 1 hitting car 2 at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal. This collision caused car 2 to rotate 180 degrees. The kinetic energy of car 1 was converted into the rotational energy of car 2, and the amount of energy lost due to friction and deformation of the car bodies is unknown. The conservation of momentum would need to include the change in momentum of the Earth and the air, and additional data such as skid marks and crash data may help determine the exact speed of car 1 at impact.
crash37
Car 1 hits car 2 and sets car 2 into 180 degree rotation. Both cars are of similar dimensions and about the same weight. What was the speed of car 1 at impact?
Assume that car 2 had a speed of 20 mph (29.3 ft/sec) in the opposite direction at impact.

I am stuck in using the conservation of linear momentum because the rotation of car number 2 involves a rotation of 180 degrees.

The kinetic energy of car 1 is converted into the rotational energy of car 2.
Pi rad = 180 degrees. How do I substitute this into omega squared of 1/2 I omega squared?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that car 1 hit car 2 at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal.

You'd have to know the amount of traction there was, then estimate how much energy was lost due to friction and deformation of the car bodies. At the end of the collision the car is no longer rotating, so you don't know how much energy was involved, or the rate of rotation of the car during the time it was rotating.

Conservation of momentum would need to include the change in momentum of the Earth (also a tiny bit to the air), otherwise, if the Earth is ignored, then momentum of the 2 cars is not preserved, since I assume they both end up stopped.

you're assuming that all energy stays in the 2-car system, which is false.

Instead of trying to look for formulas to plug and chug, try thinking about it first.

Curl,

I agree with you. I don't have any skid marks - car 1 hit me so fast that he was not able to react. I don't know how much energy was absorbed by the deformation of cars 1and 2.

I was hit when I was decelerating in car 2. The end of my fibula where it connects to my ankle bone was shattered. The doc said that this was caused by the impact. Perhaps crash data can answer my question.

I appreciate your comment.

1. What factors determine the speed of a car during a crash?

The speed of a car during a crash is determined by several factors, including the initial speed of the car, the weight and size of the car, the angle and direction of impact, and the condition of the road and weather.

2. How is the speed of a car at impact calculated?

The speed of a car at impact can be calculated by using the formula v = √(2ad), where v is the speed, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled. This formula takes into account the deceleration of the car during the crash.

3. Can the speed of a car at impact be determined after the crash?

Yes, the speed of a car at impact can be determined after the crash by analyzing evidence such as skid marks, damage to the vehicles, and witness testimonies. This information can be used to estimate the speed of the car at the time of impact.

4. How does the speed of a car at impact affect the severity of the crash?

The speed of a car at impact is directly related to the severity of the crash. The faster the car is traveling, the more force is exerted during the impact, resulting in more damage to the vehicles and potentially more severe injuries to the occupants.

5. What is the average speed of a car at impact in a crash?

The average speed of a car at impact in a crash varies depending on the specific circumstances of the crash. However, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the average impact speed for fatal crashes in the United States is 30 mph or higher.