Rope around Pole, friction intuition

In summary: T(\theta)\cdot d\theta so you get:T(\theta)\cdot d\theta \cdot \cos{\frac{d\theta}{2}}-dF_{friction}=0In summary, the problem involves a rope wrapped around a pole at an angle theta and attached to a boat with a tension T. With a coefficient of static friction of mu, the maximum force the rope can exert on the boat without slipping can be found by considering the force of friction acting tangent to the surface and using small angle approximations. The force of friction and normal force are infinitesimal, and for equilibrium, the equation T(theta + dtheta) + cos (dtheta/2) -T(theta)cos(dtheta/
Self-Help

Homework Statement

a rope wraps around an angle theta around a pole. You grab one end and pull with a tension T. The other end is attached to a large object say a boat. If the coefficient of stating friction between rope and pole is mu, what is the largest force the rope can exert on the boat, if the rope is not to slip around pole.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution to the question. What I am curious about is what is the intuition behind the friction in this problem. Which way does the friction force act, and how would you put it on your free body diagram. I need some hints/ intution.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force can go either way! But it always opposes motion.
So, if you are holding the boat and it is trying to get away, Ff helps you pull on the boat. If you are trying to make the boat move toward the pole, Ff hinders your pull making it harder to pull the boat.

Another important thing to remember is that the force of friction can only act tangent to the surface in question.
The normal force is always normal to the surface, and the force of friction is always tangent to it.

Two other things to keep in mind is that for the critical case, the rope is just on the verge of slipping, so for every pair of friction and normal forces, there holds [tex]dF_{friction}=\mu_s dN[/tex]

As for an initial approach, I suggest you look at a small arc subtending an angle [tex]\Delta \theta[/tex], or if you're comfortable working with the differentials straight away, a differential angle, [tex]d\theta[/tex], and apply Newton's Second Law to it, claiming equilibrium and using the small angle approximations: [tex]\sin{x} \approx x[/tex], [tex]\cos{x} \approx 1[/tex] for small [tex]x[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks- That's very good intuition and reminders. I did look at a small arc dtheta and my y balance looks like this:

* T(theta +dtheta) + cos (dtheta/2) -T(theta)cos(dtheta/2)- Friction=0

My issue was whether it would be -Friction or +Friction.
If I think about the direction motion to be towards the boat moving away, then normal force is positive on the x balance, and so friction is negative on *.

Did that make sense?

Roy alCat;2889705 said:
Another important thing to remember is that the force of friction can only act tangent to the surface in question.
The normal force is always normal to the surface, and the force of friction is always tangent to it.

Two other things to keep in mind is that for the critical case, the rope is just on the verge of slipping, so for every pair of friction and normal forces, there holds [tex]dF_{friction}=\mu_s dN[/tex]

As for an initial approach, I suggest you look at a small arc subtending an angle [tex]\Delta \theta[/tex], or if you're comfortable working with the differentials straight away, a differential angle, [tex]d\theta[/tex], and apply Newton's Second Law to it, claiming equilibrium and using the small angle approximations: [tex]\sin{x} \approx x[/tex], [tex]\cos{x} \approx 1[/tex] for small [tex]x[/tex]

Yep, that makes perfect sense, but you made two small mistakes, it should be [tex]T(\theta + d\theta)\cdot \cos{\frac{d\theta}{2}} - T(\theta)\cdot \cos{\frac{d\theta}{2}}=dF_{friction}[/tex]
The force of friction is infinitesimal, since you're looking at the contribution of a tiny arc segment, the same goes for the normal force, it too is infinitesimal.

Note that since you're dealing with small differences, you can write: [tex]T(\theta+d\theta)-T(\theta)=dT[/tex]

What is friction?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other.

How does friction affect the rope around a pole?

Friction between the rope and the pole creates a force that resists the movement of the rope, making it more difficult to slide or move the rope around the pole.

Why does a rope stay in place when wrapped around a pole?

The friction between the rope and the pole creates a grip that prevents the rope from sliding down the pole, keeping it in place.

How does the tightness of the rope affect friction?

A tighter rope will have more contact with the pole, resulting in a greater amount of friction and making it more difficult to slide the rope. A looser rope will have less friction and may be easier to slide.

Can the material of the rope and pole affect friction?

Yes, the material of the rope and pole can affect friction. For example, a rope made of rougher material will create more friction against a smooth pole compared to a rope made of a smoother material. Similarly, a rough pole will create more friction with a smooth rope compared to a smooth pole.