Solving Tension Question for Figure 5-58: Max Mass, Angle & Acceleration

• Thread starter greenman100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the tension in the pull cables decreases as the cars get closer to the support tower. This decreases the force on the cars and reduces the acceleration.
greenman100
Figure 5-58 shows a section of an airplane cable-car system. The maximum permissible mass of each car with occupants is 3000 kg. The cars, riding on a support cable, are pulled by a second cable attached to the support tower on each car. Assume that the cables are taut and inclined at angle = 35°. What is the difference in tension between adjacent sections of pull cable if the cars are at the maximum permissible mass and are being accelerated up the incline at 0.78 m/s^2?

http://timelmore.ipupdater.com/05_55.gif

I don't even know how to get started on this, and neither does anyone else taking the class. The professor is out of town, does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Equations and theory would be nice- I'm not looking for someone to do my homework for me, as I know how to do othre tension problems, I just don't really know what tehy're asking for and how the angle plays into it.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I read the problem. The support cable supports the weight of the cars just as a frictionless incline plane would support a mass resting on it: it supplies a normal force. The pull cables, on the other hand, provide a force parallel to the cables that prevents the cars from sliding down and imparts some acceleration to the cars.

So identify all the forces on each car and apply Newton's 2nd Law for components parallel to the cable.

Doc Al said:
Here's how I read the problem. The support cable supports the weight of the cars just as a frictionless incline plane would support a mass resting on it: it supplies a normal force. The pull cables, on the other hand, provide a force parallel to the cables that prevents the cars from sliding down and imparts some acceleration to the cars.

So identify all the forces on each car and apply Newton's 2nd Law for components parallel to the cable.

that's what I thought

T=mg+ma

so, (3000*sin(35)*9.81)+(3000*.78)

I could do it, the problem was just worded tough

1. What is the purpose of solving tension questions in physics?

Solving tension questions in physics is important because it allows us to determine the forces acting on an object in a given system. This information can be used to understand the motion and behavior of the object.

2. How do you find the maximum mass in a tension question?

To find the maximum mass in a tension question, we can use the formula T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. We can rearrange the formula to solve for m, giving us m = T/g. This will give us the maximum mass that the tension force can support before breaking.

3. What is the significance of the angle in a tension question?

The angle in a tension question is important because it affects the magnitude and direction of the tension force. In order to accurately calculate the tension, we need to know both the angle and the magnitude of the force acting on the object.

4. How does acceleration factor into solving tension questions?

Acceleration is an important factor in solving tension questions because it affects the overall force acting on an object. When an object is accelerating, the tension force may need to be adjusted to counteract this acceleration. Additionally, the maximum mass that the tension force can support may change depending on the acceleration of the object.

5. Can tension questions be solved without knowing the acceleration?

Yes, tension questions can still be solved without knowing the acceleration. However, the solution may not be as accurate since the acceleration affects the tension force. It is always best to have as much information as possible when solving tension questions in order to get the most accurate and complete solution.