5 circles inside 1 large circle

In summary, the arrangement of five circles inside one large circle is known as a "pentagram" and is commonly used in mathematics, art, and spirituality. The five circles are positioned evenly around the circumference of the large circle and are typically half the size of the large circle. This arrangement can be altered to create different shapes. Some real-life examples include logos, symbols, and insignias.
russel.arnold
What is the most compact way of arranging 5 circles inside 1 large circle. If possible, show it by drawing a picture.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://www2.stetson.edu/~efriedma/cirincir/

@Greathouse

u r truly great, can u suggest some more configurations? I need them for my project.
thanks

I showed the most compact way, any particular restrictions on the others? Examples: 5 circles in a line, or equally spaced about a point.

I think that should work..thanks for the help! :)

1. What is the mathematical concept behind 5 circles inside 1 large circle?

The mathematical concept behind this arrangement is known as a "pentagram". It is a geometric shape composed of five intersecting circles that form a star-like figure.

2. What is the purpose or significance of having 5 circles inside 1 large circle?

The purpose of this arrangement may vary depending on the context. In mathematics, it can be used to demonstrate the concept of symmetry. In art, it may be used as a symbol or design element. In some spiritual or religious beliefs, it may hold symbolic meaning.

3. How are the circles positioned and sized to create the pentagram shape?

The five circles are positioned in a way that their centers are equally spaced around the circumference of the large circle. The size of the circles can vary, but they are typically smaller than the large circle and have a diameter that is half the size of the large circle's diameter.

4. Can the number of circles and their positions be changed to create different shapes?

Yes, the pentagram arrangement is just one example of how circles can be positioned and sized to create a specific shape. Depending on the number of circles and their positions, different shapes such as hexagrams, heptagrams, and octagrams can be formed.

5. Are there any real-life examples of 5 circles inside 1 large circle?

Yes, there are various real-life examples of this arrangement. Some examples include the Olympic rings logo, the Mercedes-Benz logo, the symbol for the United States Department of Defense, and the insignia of the Order of the Eastern Star in Freemasonry.