Expanding into Power Series (Complex)

In summary, we can use the Cauchy product formula to find the power series for e^{1/z}/\sin z in powers of z+1+i by breaking it down into simpler power series and then using the formula to combine them.
curtdbz

Homework Statement

Expand [tex]e^{1/z}/\sin z[/tex] in powers of [tex]z+1+i[/tex].

Homework Equations

Not sure, see below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know that

[tex]\begin{align}
\sin z & = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!}z^{2n+1}
\end{align}[/tex]

And the other expansion for the exponential (but we just replace the usual [tex] z \Rightarrow 1/z [/tex]. Now when I do that I get two infinite sums, one on top the other. I also know that the power series is defined as:

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^ {\infin } \frac {f^{(n)}(a)}{n!} \, (z-a)^{n}, a = -1 -i[/tex]

The reason for the minus in our "a" is because we want to expand to powers of [tex]z+1+i[/tex] and so we need the negative. Anyway, when I differentiate I get no pattern that I can see and it just becomes a HUGE mess. Can someone help me clean it up, or just guide me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would treat it as

[tex]f(z)=e^{1/z}\csc(z)[/tex]

and since you're expanding around an analytic center of both of these (z_0=-1-i), then the series for each of those functions have no singular terms so I could use the Cauchy product formula and write:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
f(z)=e^{1/z}\csc(z)&=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(z-z_0)^n \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}b_n(z-z_0)^n\\
&=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}(z-z_0)^n \\
&=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n (z-z_0)^n
\end{align*}
[/tex]

where:

[tex]c_n=\sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}[/tex]

We've now reduced it to a somewhat simpler form of finding the power series for each of e^{1/z} and csc(z) around the point z_0=-1-i.

1. What is a power series in complex numbers?

A power series in complex numbers is an infinite series of the form f(z) = a0 + a1(z-z0) + a2(z-z0)2 + ... + an(z-z0)n + ... where an are complex coefficients, z is a complex variable, and z0 is the center of the series. This series can be used to represent complex functions in a manner similar to how Taylor series represent real functions.

2. How do you expand a function into a power series in complex numbers?

To expand a function into a power series in complex numbers, we can use the Taylor series expansion formula f(z) = f(z0) + f'(z0)(z-z0) + \frac{f''(z0)}{2!}(z-z0)2 + ... + \frac{f(n)(z0)}{n!}(z-z0)n + ... where f(z) is the function, z is a complex variable, z0 is the center of the series, and n is a non-negative integer. By plugging in different values of z0, we can obtain different power series expansions for the function.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a power series in complex numbers?

The radius of convergence for a power series in complex numbers is the distance between the center of the series and the nearest singularity of the function. In other words, it is the distance within which the power series will converge and accurately represent the function. The radius of convergence can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test.

4. Can a power series in complex numbers be used to approximate a complex function?

Yes, a power series in complex numbers can be used to approximate a complex function within the radius of convergence. By using more terms in the series, we can obtain a more accurate approximation of the function. However, it is important to note that a power series may not always converge to the actual value of the function at a specific point, as it only provides an approximation.

5. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Laurent series in complex numbers?

A Taylor series is a power series centered at a point, while a Laurent series is a power series centered at a singularity. In other words, a Taylor series assumes that the function is analytic (has derivatives of all orders) at the center, while a Laurent series allows for poles and essential singularities. A Taylor series has a finite radius of convergence, while a Laurent series may have an infinite radius of convergence. Additionally, a Taylor series only has positive powers of (z-z0), while a Laurent series can have both positive and negative powers.