Which Foreign Language Should I Learn?

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Italian may be a good choice for a foreign language because it is spoken in many countries, it is a Romance language, and it is similar to many other languages.
osnarf
Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide on which foreign language i should learn. My requirement is filled from high school,although I don't remember a thing from it, and I didn't really learn that much to begin with anyways (I could have simple, very slowly spoken conversations).

I hear that a foreign language isn't as necessary these days as it was before from searching the forum, but I would still like to be at least bilingual, and I think it would be a bit eye-opening and insightful into another culture.

Now, I don't have any particular preference. I've always been fascinated by the way German sounds when it is spoken. I'm Italian, so I feel like I should be able to converse in Italian. France is also a place I might like to visit, and is the language I took in high school (so what I did know should come back fairly easily).

So my question is what, if any, specialized areas in physics, math, or engineering, have had particularly large contributions from people in anyone language (or were most of them written in latin)? I think it would be nice to be able to read great works in the original language.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there.

For the subjects of math and physics, I would recommend either Russian or German. Aside from some key figures like Gauss, Hilbert, Kolmogorov, and others, if you become well versed in one of these languages, you will get to see a different perspective from very great talent in mathematics.

One of my previous lecturers told me about the Russian school of mathematics and he commented that it was good but suggested for me to instead read the AMS books and related journals.

For physics there is an interesting guy by the name of Konstantin Meyl who has published a tonne of stuff in scalar electromagnetics and some of the stuff he was written is in German only. He has published the more common books in english and its a pretty interesting read however I'm not a physics major (math major) so maybe some people might give better suggestions for physics and/or engineering.

As you probably know most findings, expositions, monologues and so forth are published in English thankfully, but I have heard in (some) universities in the states that they require graduate students (in math) to be fluent to a degree so that they can read and analyze papers in another language. I don't know if its true or not, but it will probably be an advantage especially if you want to survey mainstream ideas and thought processes not common in the west.

Good luck!

What about italian? :smile:

1. What are the most useful foreign languages to learn?

The most useful foreign languages to learn depend on your personal goals and interests. Some of the most commonly learned languages include Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, and German. However, if you have a specific career or travel destination in mind, there may be other languages that are more useful for you.

2. How do I choose which foreign language to learn?

Choosing a foreign language to learn can be based on a variety of factors, such as your personal interests, career goals, or travel plans. It can also be helpful to consider the popularity and prevalence of a language, as well as its usefulness in your field or industry.

3. Is it better to learn a popular language or a less commonly spoken one?

Again, this depends on your personal goals and interests. Popular languages like Spanish or Mandarin Chinese have a wide reach and can be useful for communication with a large number of people. However, learning a less commonly spoken language can also give you a unique skill and make you stand out in the job market.

4. How long does it take to learn a foreign language?

The time it takes to learn a foreign language varies depending on the individual's learning style, the difficulty of the language, and the amount of time dedicated to studying. Some estimates suggest that it takes around 600-750 hours of study to reach a conversational level in a language.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me choose a foreign language to learn?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help you choose a foreign language to learn. Some ideas include talking to people who speak multiple languages, researching the most commonly spoken languages in your area or industry, and taking online quizzes or assessments to identify your language learning strengths and interests.