Amount of current and voltage in an average shock from a door nob?

In summary, the amount of current and voltage in an average "shock" from a door nob/handle is low, and it is not typically felt.
wushumaster
Amount of current and voltage in an average "shock" from a door nob?

What is the amount of current and voltage in an average "shock" from a door nob/handle? I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find it! Please help!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

wushumaster said:
What is the amount of current and voltage in an average "shock" from a door nob/handle? I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find it! Please help!
Thanks

The common ESD test standard is EN 61000-4-2, and the test devices that you use to zap the equipment under test (to be sure they will be reliable in the real world) use an output circuit of 150pF in series with a 330 Ohm output resistor for air discharge testing. The rise time of the output discharge is on the order of 1ns.

For you to feel the shock, it would need to be at least a couple of kV. The peak currents are high (a couple hundred amps I think but I'm not sure about that), but the duration is so small that there is not much energy behind it. 10kV stored on 150pF is only 7.5mJ.

But we typically feel at least a small shock, right? So since current dominated what we "feel" are you saying that we would feel 100s of mA? Because I thought that kind of current has the potential to kill us. Electrical muscle stimulation max current is only 64 mA.
I'm trying to put in perspective for the IRB that the shock from EMS is not that big/ bad...

wushumaster said:
But we typically feel at least a small shock, right? So since current dominated what we "feel" are you saying that we would feel 100s of mA? Because I thought that kind of current has the potential to kill us. Electrical muscle stimulation max current is only 64 mA.
I'm trying to put in perspective for the IRB that the shock from EMS is not that big/ bad...

But as I said, this transient current only lasts for about a nanosecond. That's the difference.

Still, I've managed to shock myself accidentally during product ESD testing, and it's no fun at all. And I've accidentally taken about a 10kV air discharge from arm-to-arm (the worst way), and I could feel my heart not appreciating it at all. Luckily, most static shocks that you feel in normal life are just a kV or two, and not typically arm-to-arm.

for reaching out with your question. The amount of current and voltage in an average "shock" from a door knob or handle can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of material the door knob is made of, the humidity level in the environment, and the individual's body resistance. Generally, a shock from a door knob is considered to be low voltage, typically ranging from 10-30 volts, and low current, usually less than 1 milliampere. This level of current and voltage is not typically harmful to humans, but can still be felt as a mild shock. However, it is always important to exercise caution and avoid touching any electrical components, including door knobs, if you are unsure of their state or safety. I hope this information helps clarify your question.

1. What is the average amount of current in a shock from a door knob?

The average amount of current in a shock from a door knob is typically between 0.01 and 0.02 amps. This is considered a low amount of current and is not usually dangerous to healthy individuals.

2. Can a shock from a door knob be lethal?

No, a shock from a door knob is not typically lethal. As mentioned previously, the amount of current is usually low and not enough to cause harm to healthy individuals. However, individuals with pre-existing heart conditions or those who are elderly or young may be more at risk for complications from a shock.

3. What is the average voltage in a shock from a door knob?

The average voltage in a shock from a door knob is around 10,000 volts. However, the duration of the shock is very short, typically only a few milliseconds. This means that the total amount of energy delivered is relatively low.

4. Can a shock from a door knob damage electronics?

It is unlikely that a shock from a door knob will damage electronics. The low amount of current and short duration of the shock is not typically enough to cause damage to electronics. However, it is always a good idea to avoid touching electronics with wet hands or immediately after receiving a shock, as that can increase the risk of damage.

5. How can I avoid getting shocked by a door knob?

To avoid getting shocked by a door knob, it is important to make sure that your hands are dry before touching it. You can also try using a cloth or towel to open the door, or wearing gloves if you know that the door knob tends to give off shocks. Additionally, regularly checking and maintaining the electrical wiring in your home can also help prevent these types of shocks.