Scalar Curvature, R, for Dummies

In summary, the scalar curvature, R, is a measure of the curvature of a Riemannian manifold, representing the deviation of the volume of a geodesic ball in the manifold from that of a standard ball in Euclidean space. When the scalar curvature is positive, the volume of the ball is smaller, and when it is negative, the volume is larger. However, in a space with a Lorentzian signature, there is no simple geometric interpretation for the scalar curvature.
Farina
Is it possible to explain, in one or two paragraphs, what the scalar curvature, R, is as it applies to General Relativity (the Einstein Field Equation, specifically?).

This needs to be understandable to a high school AP-C physics student.

Signed,
Me - the high school AP-C physics student.

This isn't a homework question. I started trying to picking apart the EFE a few weeks ago during my open study hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question. Although the Riemann curvature tensor is mathematically more complicated (a rank-2 tensor), I actually find it easier to interpret than the scalar curvature. If any other PF members have a good, succinct interpretation of the scalar curvature, I'd be interested to hear it.

Looking for a dummy?? Here I am!...While the question is still above my pay grade, so maybe I'm "sub dummy", I'm listening to Susskind's online lectures for GR so oddly it's an interesting one...

There seem to be some really good (read that as "even I can understand them") descriptions here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_curvature

...the scalar curvature represents the amount by which the volume of a geodesic ball in a curved Riemannian manifold deviates from that of the standard ball in Euclidean space

When the scalar curvature is positive at a point, the volume of a small ball about the point has smaller volume than a ball of the same radius in Euclidean space. On the other hand, when the scalar curvature is negative at a point, the volume of a small ball is instead larger than it would be in Euclidean space.

What do you experts think??

Last edited:
picky,picky,picky!

Ben, on a more serious note, I just stumbled across this in some notes...and wondered if it might add to the reply to the poster...none of this is mentioned in the source I posted above:

"The Ricci tensor Rab only keeps track of the change of volume of this ball. Namely, the second time derivative of the volume of the ball is -Rabva vb times the ball's original volume. The Weyl tensor tells the REST of the story about what happens to the ball. More precisely, it describes how the ball changes shape, into an ellipsoid.

(I don't have the source, but will Check...maybe it was Wikipedia. Sounds like this must be limited to euclidean coordinates also,right??) )

In the comments previously posted, the change in volume is NOT related to any changes in coordinates from point to point, right??..Euclidean coordinates maintain the same shape and separation everywhere, so a volume change is a physical change not due to any changes in coordinates... But if we used curvilinear coordinates with changing relationships over a manifold, then we get coordinate changes mixed up with manifold changes...so the "volume" change has a mix of causes?? Is that the idea...

Hi, Naty,

The issue isn't Cartesian versus non-Cartesian coordinates, it's Euclidean signature (+++) versus Lorentzian signature (+---). Signature refers to the set of plus and minus signs in the metric.

In a space with a Euclidean signature (known as a Riemannian space), the scalar curvature has a nice, simple geometric interpretation, as given in the WP article. In a space with a mixture of + and - in its signature (known as a semi-Riemannian space), I don't know of any simple geometric interpretation.

-Ben

1. What is scalar curvature, R?

Scalar curvature, R, is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the curvature of a space at a specific point. It is a single value that describes the overall curvature of a space, rather than focusing on the curvature at a particular direction.

2. How is scalar curvature, R, calculated?

Scalar curvature, R, can be calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the Riemann curvature tensor, which describes the curvature of a space in terms of its metric properties. The formula involves taking the trace of the Riemann curvature tensor and then multiplying it by a constant factor.

3. What is the significance of scalar curvature, R, in physics?

In physics, scalar curvature, R, is used to describe the curvature of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It plays a crucial role in determining the gravitational field and the motion of objects in space.

4. How does scalar curvature, R, differ from other types of curvature?

Unlike other types of curvature, such as sectional curvature or Gaussian curvature, scalar curvature, R, is a single value that describes the overall curvature of a space. It takes into account the curvature in all directions, rather than focusing on a specific direction or plane.

5. Can you provide a real-world example of scalar curvature, R?

One example of scalar curvature, R, is the curvature of the Earth's surface. The Earth is approximately spherical in shape, and the scalar curvature at any point on its surface represents the overall curvature of the surface at that point. This curvature is responsible for the bending of light and other phenomena in general relativity.