Balancing Redox Reactions (another question) help?

In summary: If you are not sure what is getting oxidized and what is getting reduced, start assigning oxidation numbers to all elements on both sides of the reaction equation.
kshah93

Homework Statement

Use half reactions to balance the following redox reactions and underline the oxidizing agent
m) Zn + HNO3 --------> Zn(NO3)2 + NH4NO3 + H2O

Homework Equations

Not applicable

The Attempt at a Solution

I would usually start by breaking down the equation into half reactions, but I'm not actually sure how to do this with this equation, since I have an H2O in there.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are not sure what is getting oxidized and what is getting reduced, start assigning oxidation numbers to all elements on both sides of the reaction equation.

Borek said:
If you are not sure what is getting oxidized and what is getting reduced, start assigning oxidation numbers to all elements on both sides of the reaction equation.

Yeah, but the question asks me to use half reactions to balance the redox equation, not oxidation numbers. Is there a way to do this using half reactions?

There is no problem with balancing using half reactions, but first you have to find out what is being reduced and what is being oxidized. If you don't see it at the first sight, ON are a sure way of finding out.

Borek said:
There is no problem with balancing using half reactions, but first you have to find out what is being reduced and what is being oxidized. If you don't see it at the first sight, ON are a sure way of finding out.

How would you use the oxidation numbers to determine what is being oxidized and reduced? Is it to do with the change, so if the oxidation number increases you have an oxidation and if it decreases you have a reduction? I haven't really learned the oxidation method for balancing redox equations in school yet, so I'm still kind of iffy about doing that. Could you explain to me how to determine this?

1. How do I balance redox reactions?

To balance a redox reaction, you must first assign oxidation numbers to each element in the reaction. Then, identify which elements are being oxidized and which are being reduced. Next, add or subtract electrons to balance the oxidation numbers. Finally, balance the remaining elements and charges using coefficients.

2. What is the purpose of balancing redox reactions?

The purpose of balancing redox reactions is to ensure that the law of conservation of mass and charge is obeyed. It also allows you to determine the exact amounts of reactants and products involved in the reaction.

3. What are some common methods for balancing redox reactions?

The most commonly used methods for balancing redox reactions are the half-reaction method and the oxidation number change method. The half-reaction method involves balancing the reduction and oxidation half-reactions separately, then combining them to balance the overall reaction. The oxidation number change method involves assigning oxidation numbers and using them to determine the changes in oxidation number for each element.

4. Can you provide an example of balancing a redox reaction?

Sure, let's balance the reaction between potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and iron (II) sulfate (FeSO4). First, assign the oxidation numbers: K = +1, Mn = +7, O = -2, Fe = +2, S = +6, O = -2. Next, identify the elements being oxidized and reduced: Mn is reduced from +7 to +2, while Fe is oxidized from +2 to +3. Add or subtract electrons to balance the oxidation numbers: 5e- + MnO4- + 8H+ → Mn2+ + 4H2O. Balance the remaining elements and charges: 5Fe2+ + MnO4- + 8H+ → 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O. The final balanced equation is: 5Fe2+ + MnO4- + 8H+ → 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for balancing redox reactions?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can make balancing redox reactions easier. These include using the oxidation number method, balancing oxygen and hydrogen atoms last, and canceling out spectator ions. It's also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common redox reactions.