Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

In summary, yesterday was hot and muggy with oppressive humidity, and today is looking like it will be just as bad.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Borek said:
July 2nd and just 55 F :grumpy: You call it a summer?

Would you like the 105 F we had yesterday? I'll trade.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, our backyard thermometer got up to 90 F (32 C) before dropping back to around 87 F (30.5 C). Still, it's a lot colder here than Venus or Mercury.

dlgoff said:
Would you like the 105 F we had yesterday? I'll trade.

Can't we settle for average?

73F and going up to 77. A beautiful day here.

Anything over 80F is too hot for me.

Borek said:
Can't we settle for average?

Perfect. You've got a deal.

It's 91+ here in the shade, with oppressive humidity. It was all I could do to take Duke out for walks so he could "do his duty". These last few summers have been killers.

I used to run and troubleshoot paper machines and boilers (really hot places!) and thought that I could handle any kind of heat and humidity, but respiratory problems have knocked that idea into a cocked hat. By 9am, the temperature was already 80+ and climbing. Our garden is doing OK, but my capacity for gardening and yard-work is heavily compromised by this weather. Heat-stroke is insidious and not fun at all.

We had a heat index of 117°F yesterday and it was impossible to spend more than 5 minutes before your cloths are soaked. Now at 101°F the index is "only" 106°F.

dlgoff said:
We had a heat index of 117°F yesterday and it was impossible to spend more than 5 minutes before your cloths are soaked. Now at 101°F the index is "only" 106°F.
I won't move near you, Don! Maine is bad enough these last few summers.

turbo-1 said:
I won't move near you, Don! Maine is bad enough these last few summers.
It has it's advantages. Like just now.

On my swing-set shed, with sloped sides, for rain gutters, I cut a 3"diam. pvc pipe lengthwise and worked it in under the bottom. To get a good seal I used a roofing tar (which I left in the sun) which I could have pored in on end and let it flow to the other end. But I used a 1"brush and it was like melted butter.

Last night, the local news guy said "If you hated today's heat and humidity, you're REALLY going to hate tomorrow's weather." He was right. The heavy rains last night just gave the Sun more fuel to drive up the humidity. Poor Duke is losing out on his 4-wheeler rides and play-time because I just can't stand the heat and humidity.

Might have to move to northern Ontario soon. :cry:

Edit: can I be a dental-floss tycoon up there? Are there pygmy ponies? I can find the tweezers.

Last edited:

We're supposed to have a thunderstorm today and the temp is supposed to drop 20 degrees. of course the storm was goping to be at 1pm, then 2pm, then 3pm, now the storm is still at 3, but no temperature change.

Yesterday they said it was sunny and clear, so I walked outside with the fruit bat and it started pouring.

Evo said:
We're supposed to have a thunderstorm today and the temp is supposed to drop 20 degrees. of course the storm was goping to be at 1pm, then 2pm, then 3pm, now the storm is still at 3, but no temperature change.

Yesterday they said it was sunny and clear, so I walked outside with the fruit bat and it started pouring.
Can't trust the weather-reports here because things change so fast. You'd think that the forecasters in KS would be able to see stuff coming...

Last week's microburst cost my neighbor a couple of large maple trees, an ash tree, and the top of his pear tree. It missed my property, but he and his daughter say that straw mulch on the garden and wood-shavings from around the berry-bushes were getting sucked up into the air and strewn all around. I don't want to live in tornado alley, but the alley might be moving here.

turbo-1 said:
Can't trust the weather-reports here because things change so fast. You'd think that the forecasters in KS would be able to see stuff coming...

Last week's microburst cost my neighbor a couple of large maple trees, an ash tree, and the top of his pear tree. It missed my property, but he and his daughter say that straw mulch on the garden and wood-shavings from around the berry-bushes were getting sucked up into the air and strewn all around. I don't want to live in tornado alley, but the alley might be moving here.
Good grief.

A big tree right in back of my place broke in half during a storm a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a gap where the sun isn't blocked. :frown:

Evo said:
Good grief.

A big tree right in back of my place broke in half during a storm a couple of weeks ago. Now I have a gap where the sun isn't blocked. :frown:
Where's that blinking-sun smilie when I need it? Let's move over to chat. Mkay?

turbo-1 said:
Where's that blinking-sun smilie when I need it? Let's move over to chat. Mkay?
NOOO, not the SHOCK!

Evo said:
NOOO, not the SHOCK!
Ack! Quick! Make lots of posts now!

Ok, this morning weather.com sid thunderstorms starting at 1pm continuing all afternoon.

Now not until 8pm. Seriously, they can't can't predict today's weather?

Evo said:
Ok, this morning weather.com sid thunderstorms starting at 1pm continuing all afternoon.

Now not until 8pm. Seriously, they can't can't predict today's weather?
Seriously, why do forecasters in KS have such trouble? The terrain is open and flat. You could see trouble coming for 100's of miles with decent radar and satellite imagery.

turbo-1 said:
Seriously, why do forecasters in KS have such trouble? The terrain is open and flat. You could see trouble coming for 100's of miles with decent radar and satellite imagery.
You'd think!

They are always wrong, it can be pouring down outside and go on their website and it will say sunny and clear. :uhh:

Evo said:
You'd think!

They are always wrong, it can be pouring down outside and go on their website and it will say sunny and clear. :uhh:
At least Maine forecasters have some viable excuses. Arctic highs sweeping in meeting Southern flows sweeping up from the gulf and getting trapped along with moist cool air from over the ocean. Things can get tricky here.

Okay, no problem, the next 12 hours of thunderstorms just disappeared.

Evo said:
Okay, no problem, the next 12 hours of thunderstorms just disappeared.
Apparently, mine did too, including the "severe" ones.

turbo-1 said:
Apparently, mine did too, including the "severe" ones.
We could make better predictions blindfolded and throwing darts turbo. At least we might be right part of the time.

The entire house is shaking from the lightning and thunder and weather.com says "SUNNY AND CLEAR"

The website still shows a sunny sky.

Just now---SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY

HAIL UP TO ONE-HALF INCH IN DIAMETER AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM... ALONG WITH HEAVY RAIN.

TORRENTIAL RAIN... WHICH MAY FLOOD LOW LYING AREAS SUCH AS DITCHES AND UNDERPASSES... IS ALSO LIKELY. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE ON A FLOODED ROADWAY.

I just get this vision of a room full of baboons with delivery pizza and randomly throwing pretyped weather reports at the wall to see what sticks.

The severe T-storms never arrived, and the "cold" front that was supposed to usher in cool, dry air has brought me only marginally breathable air, and over 80 degrees in the shade already. It will likely be approaching 90 by afternoon. Maybe Alaska would be OK.

It's only 95°F here this evening but with a heat index of 108°F and the weatherman is saying that the heat wave will be building for the next week. Looks like maybe a real temperature near 110°F.

dlgoff said:
It's only 95°F here this evening but with a heat index of 108°F and the weatherman is saying that the heat wave will be building for the next week. Looks like maybe a real temperature near 110°F.
Nasty!

turbo-1 said:
Nasty!
Exactly. I'm thinking Maine this time of year.

You wouldn't get too much relief in Maine, Don. It's currently 92 in the shade with high humidity, and tomorrow is forecast to be much worse - especially in the humidity department. This morning, I tied my indeterminate tomatoes to the cattle-panel fencing that I use for trellises. That was when the temperatures were "only" in the mid-80s in the shade. The sun is relentless, today, too.

Again, currently 92 in the shade with dew-points in the 70's. Just standing in the shade outside wipes me out in minutes. It's hard to take care of Duke, walk him, and give him a chance for a little exercise. Brutal conditions!

99 in DC. I got to spend a couple of hours in the garage fixing the door opener. Fortunately the sun hadn't been hitting it all day so it wasn't too bad.

It's 103°F with a heat index of 108°. Help me. I don't think I can take too much more of this.

We spent the whole day in the library. Free a/c. Tomorrow will be the same.

dlgoff said:
It's 103°F with a heat index of 108°. Help me. I don't think I can take too much more of this.
It gets much hotter where you are, we still haven't gotten above 99 here yet this month, today is only the 2nd day it's gotten to 99, but they say tomorrow it can get to 100.

I'm ready for the heat wave to stop.