Relative speed, relative angles

In summary: X component of the kayaker's velocity relative to the water. The kayaker's velocity relative to the water is (3.0 m/s, west of north), so the X component is negative (going west) and the Y component is positive (going north). The equation (-3 sin theta + 2 ) i + (3 cos theta) is used to determine the angle at which the kayaker should point his kayak in order to go straight north. By setting v=0 for the Y component, we are finding the angle at which the X component is equal to the current velocity, in this case 2 m/s. This angle happens to be sin theta = 2/3, which is approximately
skysunsand

Homework Statement

A kayaker needs to paddle north across a 100-m-wide harbor. The tide is going out, creating a tidal current that flows to the east at 2.0 m/s. The kayaker can paddle with a speed of 3.0 m/s.

Homework Equations

v= v + V

Let the Earth frame be S and a frame attached to the water be S .′ Frame S′ moves relative to S with velocity V. We define the x-axis along the direction of east and the y-axis along the direction of north for both frames.

Solve: (a) The kayaker’s speed of 3.0 m/s is relative to the water. Since he’s being swept toward the east, he
needs to point at angle θ west of north. In frame S′, the water frame, his velocity is
v= (3.0 m/s, west of north) = (-3.0sin m/s) (3.0cos m/s)

v= (-3 sin [itex]\theta[/itex] + 2 ) i + (3 cos [itex]\theta[/itex])

In order to go straight north, v=0

so sin theta = 2/3 = 41.8 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is above. I just don't understand what it's telling me. Why am I using cosine for Y, if cos = adjacent/hypotenuse, which is for X values?
Why is it -3 for x, instead of positive 3?
What in the world does sin theta = 2/3 have to do with this, and why does it work out like that?
If anyone can help clarify what the solution is trying to tell me, it would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
skysunsand said:

Homework Statement

A kayaker needs to paddle north across a 100-m-wide harbor. The tide is going out, creating a tidal current that flows to the east at 2.0 m/s. The kayaker can paddle with a speed of 3.0 m/s.

Homework Equations

v= v + V

Let the Earth frame be S and a frame attached to the water be S .′ Frame S′ moves relative to S with velocity V. We define the x-axis along the direction of east and the y-axis along the direction of north for both frames.

Solve: (a) The kayaker’s speed of 3.0 m/s is relative to the water. Since he’s being swept toward the east, he
needs to point at angle θ west of north. In frame S′, the water frame, his velocity is
v= (3.0 m/s, west of north) = (-3.0sin m/s) (3.0cos m/s)

v= (-3 sin [itex]\theta[/itex] + 2 ) i + (3 cos [itex]\theta[/itex])

In order to go straight north, v=0

so sin theta = 2/3 = 41.8 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is above. I just don't understand what it's telling me. Why am I using cosine for Y, if cos = adjacent/hypotenuse, which is for X values?
Why is it -3 for x, instead of positive 3?
What in the world does sin theta = 2/3 have to do with this, and why does it work out like that?
If anyone can help clarify what the solution is trying to tell me, it would be very much appreciated.
The solution is taking North as the Y-direction, and East as the X-direction.

With the direction referrig to an angle West of North. the westerly component [x] is thus negative; and the North component [y] is positive.

EDIT: the sin theta equalling 2/3 is because the current is 2 m/s whle the kayaker is paddling at 3 m/s
also it is not -3 for X, it is -(3.sintheta)

1. What is relative speed?

Relative speed refers to the speed of an object or person in relation to another object or person. It is the difference in speeds between two moving objects or the speed of one object relative to a fixed point of reference.

2. How is relative speed calculated?

Relative speed is calculated by subtracting the speed of one object from the speed of the other object. For example, if a car is traveling at 60 miles per hour and a bike is traveling at 20 miles per hour in the same direction, the relative speed between the two would be 40 miles per hour.

3. What is the importance of relative speed in physics?

Relative speed is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is used in many different areas of physics, such as in the study of collisions and in the theory of relativity.

4. How does relative speed affect the perception of time?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the perception of time can be affected by relative speed. The faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object relative to a stationary observer.

5. What are relative angles?

Relative angles refer to the angle between two objects or points of reference. It is the angle measured between two lines of sight from different positions, rather than an absolute angle measured from a fixed point. It is used in navigation, astronomy, and other fields where precise measurements of angles are needed.