What is the Diameter of a Tungsten Wire with a Weight of 1.72 mg?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the diameter of a tungsten wire based on its weight and length. The correct calculation for the diameter is 0.04771198 mm, which was determined using the formula for density and the volume of a cylinder. The initial calculation of 0.13 mm was incorrect due to a mistake in converting milligrams to kilograms. Further discussion and clarification on the correct units were provided to help the individual understand the error.
Virsnieks

Homework Statement

If we know, that 200 mm of tungsten wire weight`s 1.72 mg, then what is the diameter of this wire

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I by my self came to the conclusion, that the answer is 0.13 mm. But if I take in accordance, that my Algebra and Physics is more than poor... may someone could calculate and prof this.

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
"If we know, that 200 mm of tungsten wire weight`s 1.72 mg, then what is the diameter of this wire"

Grams are mass, not weight.

A wire is a long, thin cylinder. Compute volume in terms of diameter, then mass. Solve for diameter.

Welcome to Physics Forums.
Virsnieks said:

Homework Statement

If we know, that 200 mm of tungsten wire weight`s 1.72 mg, then what is the diameter of this wire

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I by my self came to the conclusion, that the answer is 0.13 mm. But if I take in accordance, that my Algebra and Physics is more than poor... may someone could calculate and prof this.

Thx
I calculate something different. If you show us your actual calculations, we can help figure out what went wrong.

So I try`d to calculate it one more time this morning whis a fresh head and got some different:
My Idea was to use formula for Desity, to get the Volume and then change the formula for cilinder volumen V=p*r2*h, for getting the radius

200 mm = 0.2 m
1.72mg= 0.00172 kg
Denisty of tungsten = 19250 kg/m3

1. Step. Density = Mass/Volume, so Volume = mass/density

Volume = 0.00172/19250 = 0.000000008935 m3

2. Step. V=p*r2*h; 0.000000008935=3.14*r2*0.2

r=SQRT of 0.000000008935/3.14*0.20
r= 0,0000238559904479939 m
r=0.02385599 mm or the Diameter then would be 0.04771198 mm. This looks better...

Last edited:
1.72mg= 0.00172 kg

You are saying that 1.72 milligrams is 0.00172 kilogram??

0.000172 kg - one zero missed... everything else should be correct.

Virsnieks said:

Try again.

Virsnieks said:

No - mg is not g. What does the 'm' stand for?

What is the diameter of tungsten wire?

The diameter of tungsten wire can vary depending on its intended use. However, most commonly, tungsten wire has a diameter of 0.001 inches (0.0254 millimeters).

How is the diameter of tungsten wire measured?

The diameter of tungsten wire is typically measured using a micrometer. This tool allows for precise measurements to be taken in both inches and millimeters.

Why is the diameter of tungsten wire important?

The diameter of tungsten wire is important because it can affect the strength, durability, and conductivity of the wire. It also determines the size and shape of the wire, which can impact its use in various applications.

What factors can affect the diameter of tungsten wire?

The diameter of tungsten wire can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the raw tungsten material, the manufacturing process, and any post-processing treatments such as drawing or annealing.

Can the diameter of tungsten wire be customized?

Yes, the diameter of tungsten wire can be customized for specific applications. Manufacturers can produce tungsten wire with a range of diameters to meet the needs of various industries and technologies, such as in electronics, lighting, and aerospace.