Writing an absolute value function as a piecewise function

In summary, the given conversation is about writing a piecewise function for f(x)=|x2-x-12|. The attempted solution includes two different equations depending on the value of x, and the answer book provides two different equations for the same value of x. This raises a question about the equivalence of the equations and their validity as solutions for the given function.
thornluke

Homework Statement

Write f(x) = |x2-x-12| as a piecewise function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-x2+x+12 where x>1/2
x2-x-12 where x[itex]\geq[/itex]0

According to the answer book the answers are
-x2+x+12 where -3<x<4
x2-x-12 where x[itex]\geq[/itex]4
2x2-5x-3, x[itex]\leq[/itex]1/2

I am really bad at functions when it comes to domain and range.. :cry:

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
thornluke said:

Homework Statement

Write f(x) = |x2-x-12| as a piecewise function.

The Attempt at a Solution

-x2+x+12 where x>1/2
x2-x-12 where x[itex]\geq[/itex]0

-x2+x+12 where -3<x<4
x2-x-12 where x[itex]\geq[/itex]4

I am really bad at functions when it comes to domain and range.. :cry:

Help please!
Start by writing |u| as a piecewise function:
[itex]\displaystyle \left|u\right|=\left\{ \matrix{\ u\,,\ \text{ if }\ u\ge 0\\-u\,,\ \text{ if }\ u<0}\right.[/itex]​

Doing that for |x2-x-12|, gives:
[itex]\displaystyle \left|x^2-x-12\right|=\left\{ \matrix{\ x^2-x-12\,,\ \text{ if }\ x^2-x-12\ge 0\\-(x^2-x-12)\,,\ \text{ if }\ x^2-x-12<0}\right.[/itex]​

That leaves you to solve:
x2-x-12 ≥ 0​
and
x2-x-12 < 0​

thornluke said:
-x2+x+12 where -3<x<4

Let me ask you a question.

In the quoted solutions, the first is for the range from -3 to +4. I choose to pick the point -1, which is in this range, and so I know that at the point x=-1, the equation to use is the first of the two.

In the second answer, the range is anything where x is less than +1/2. I choose the point -1, which is certainly less than 1/2, and so I know that for the point x=-1, the second answer is the correct equation.

Now the two equations are not equivalent but the stated answers give them both as the solution for the point x=-1.

What do you think about that?

What is an absolute value function?

An absolute value function is a mathematical function that returns the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It represents the magnitude of a number without regard to its sign.

Why would I need to write an absolute value function as a piecewise function?

Piecewise functions are used to define a function over different intervals. Writing an absolute value function as a piecewise function allows for different rules to be applied depending on the value of the input, which can be useful in certain equations and applications.

How do I write an absolute value function as a piecewise function?

To write an absolute value function as a piecewise function, you first need to identify the intervals in which the function behaves differently. Then, for each interval, you can write a separate rule for the function. For example, for x < 0, the function would be written as -x, and for x ≥ 0, the function would be written as x.

Can you give an example of writing an absolute value function as a piecewise function?

Yes, for the absolute value function |x|, we can write it as a piecewise function:
x for x ≥ 0
-x for x < 0

What is the advantage of writing an absolute value function as a piecewise function?

The advantage of writing an absolute value function as a piecewise function is that it allows for more flexibility in defining the function. It can also make graphing and solving equations involving absolute value functions easier and more precise.