Are you a ME working in the Aerospace Industry?

However, if you are looking to specifically work on the design and development of aircraft or spacecraft, then an Aerospace degree would likely be more beneficial. In summary, if you are interested in pursuing a career in the Aerospace industry, but cannot find an Aerospace degree program, going the ME route and specializing in aerospace-related areas through post-grad studies can still provide you with competitive opportunities. It is also possible to work in areas such as structural analysis and propulsion with an ME degree, but an Aerospace degree may be more directly applicable for these specific job tracks.
l.miller
I'm looking for guidance. I'm very interested in the Aerospace field. However, none of my area universities offer an Aerospace degree. I’ve noticed that some people have opted to go ME and then do Aerospace post grad. This route would be available to me,...and if I go this route.

Based on your experience

My first question is: What type of level of competitiveness does this give me when applying for jobs in the Aerospace industry?

My second question is: I’m interested in either structural analysis of moving bodies in the air like planes, spacecraft , satellites, etc; and/or propulsion (rocket or plane engines, etc). Would this be an adequate degree track to seek those types of jobs?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what part of the aerospace industry you are trying to get into. In a broad sense, there are more MEs employed in the aerospace industry than there are AEs.

You can do all of the job tracks you mentioned from an ME background with the right planning.

What type of work do you do in the Aerospace Industry?

As a ME (Mechanical Engineer) in the Aerospace Industry, my primary focus is on designing, testing, and improving various mechanical components and systems used in aircraft, satellites, and other aerospace vehicles.

What skills are necessary to work in the Aerospace Industry as a ME?

To work as a ME in the Aerospace Industry, it is important to have a strong background in mechanical engineering principles, as well as knowledge of materials, design, and testing methods. Problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team are also essential.

What are the main challenges faced when working in the Aerospace Industry as a ME?

One of the main challenges in the Aerospace Industry is the constant need for innovation and improvement in designs and technologies. This requires staying updated with the latest advancements and being able to adapt to changing requirements and specifications. Additionally, strict safety regulations and tight deadlines can also present challenges.

What do you enjoy most about working in the Aerospace Industry as a ME?

What I enjoy most about working in the Aerospace Industry as a ME is the opportunity to be a part of developing cutting-edge technologies and contributing to the advancement of the aviation and space industries. It is a dynamic and exciting field that constantly challenges me to think creatively and push boundaries.

What advice would you give to someone interested in becoming a ME in the Aerospace Industry?

My advice would be to focus on building a strong foundation in mechanical engineering through education and hands-on experience. It is also important to stay updated with industry developments and network with professionals in the field. Internships or co-op programs can also provide valuable experience and insight into the industry. Lastly, never stop learning and be open to new challenges and opportunities.