Designing a Torsion Test Equipment for Mechanical Engineering Project

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is working on a project to fabricate a torsion test equipment for a mechanical engineering class. They are discussing the torque calculations for their design and how to determine the maximum torque or force that the equipment can hold. One suggestion is to use a torque wrench with a maximum reading indicator, while another is to file flats on the specimen to mate with the chuck's teeth. The conversation concludes with the reminder that experimentation is often the best way to determine the capabilities of equipment.
xy7z
Hello,

I'm a student of mechanical engineer and currently doing a project on "fabricating a torsion test equipment".

I'm just wondering about my torque calculations.

My design is quite simple, consists of:

- angle iron (frame)
- torque angle gauge (to measure angle of twist)
- 2x 1/2" drill chucks (one fixed at the other end and one is rotating with a torque wrench as an applying force)

Now, the question is, how do i calculate the "maximum torque" or force (at the fixed one) it can holds? My specimen is 10mm diameter with 100mm of length.

Regards,
Ren

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the torque wrench that you use to apply the load has a maximum reading indicator, that will give you the data you seek right there.

OldEngr63 said:
If the torque wrench that you use to apply the load has a maximum reading indicator, that will give you the data you seek right there.

What i understood from your reply, when the specimen breaks, i will just record the reading from the torque wrench (Nm)?

If that's what you meant, my question is still unanswered, i am finding the maximum force (torque) the drill chuck can grip the specimen until it slips.

If the drill chuck slips, then your fixture is inadequate. The whole point of the chuck is to not slip but rather to transfer twist to the test item.

file three flats on end of your specimen to mate with the chuck's teeth?

for all we know your specimen is made of material too hard to grip or your chuck might be worn out.

one experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

What is torsion test equipment?

Torsion test equipment is a type of scientific equipment used to evaluate the mechanical properties of materials, specifically their resistance to twisting or torque forces. It is commonly used in the fields of engineering, material science, and physics.

What is the purpose of a torsion test?

The purpose of a torsion test is to measure the torsional or twisting strength of a material. This information is important for understanding the material's behavior under stress and designing structures that can withstand torsional forces.

How does torsion test equipment work?

Torsion test equipment typically consists of a motor that applies a rotational force to a sample of the material being tested, while another motor measures the torque applied. This allows for the calculation of the material's torsional strength. The equipment may also include sensors to measure other properties such as strain and displacement.

What types of materials can be tested using torsion test equipment?

Torsion test equipment can be used to test a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites, and biomaterials. The type of material being tested will determine the specific parameters and setup of the test.

What are the advantages of using torsion test equipment?

Torsion test equipment provides a reliable and accurate way to measure the torsional properties of materials, allowing for better understanding and design of structures. It can also help identify any defects or weaknesses in a material, which can inform material selection and manufacturing processes.