Where to publish physics papers for non-physicists?

In summary: Do they only publish peer-reviewed journal?"Open access" means that you can read the journal without paying. Some of the journals do have "fees" when submitting work, but this does not imply that anyone who pays it would get published. Most of these papers have never been downloaded, but this does not imply that they are not valid. The American Philosophical Society does publish peer-reviewed journals.
waterfall
For example, you graduated in Engineering and not directly physics course. How do you publish physics papers? What journals accept these and those quite strict and what are the requirements? Do they need a requirement that you must be a Ph.D. in Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
waterfall said:
For example, you graduated in Engineering and not directly physics course. How do you publish physics papers? What journals accept these and those quite strict and what are the requirements? Do they need a requirement that you must be a Ph.D. in Physics?
Depends, are you talking about a valid, mainstream, peer reviewed journal or some crackpot publication that accepts anything? If you go to the valid journals you can read what their requirements are.

Evo said:
Depends, are you talking about a valid, mainstream, peer reviewed journal or some crackpot publication that accepts anything? If you go to the valid journals you can read what their requirements are.

Of course valid journal. The topic is quantum gravity. But since we don't have any valid theory of it yet.. noting that string theory and loop quantum gravity are just conjectures.. then it is not bad idea to contribute to quantum gravity and inject new ideas in the fields. So what journal is more appropriate for this. Also since there is no official quantum gravity theory, how would they referee it.. against what standards? Of course the contents would use standard physics concepts and not crackpot ideas (meaning those already proven to be false).

So what are the leading journal candidates appropriate for this with not very strict requirements? To those who know. Please mention what journals you know. Thanks.

You are not required to have a PhD, but you are required to be an expert. The way you become an expert involves, essentially, studying at the same level as a PhD.

If you want yo publish, you should already be reading journals to understand the rest of the scientific dialog. Jumping into publishing without reading means you want to talk without listening first. This works no better in science than it does anywhere else.

Sounds like you're in trouble. You should already know which valid journals publish on this subject, as you will want to reference the work that your paper builds upon. There are many respected papers about quantum gravity, just no final overall conclusions. Also, crackpot ideas are seldom already proven false, they are normally just dismissed out of hand. Good luck...

Opps, Van 50 beat me to it!

If you really do think you have something important to say, work on a piecemeal presentation.
For example, being able to present 20 papers, each on, say 3 pages each, with independent content, a professor (don't think about trying to get it into a journal) is much more likely to indulge in reading the well-shaped 3 page essay you first send him, rather than if you send over all 60 pages at once.

If he then says, "sure, this is valid physics, perhaps even mildly interesting, do you have some more?", you can present him with some more.

Of course, it might happen that in the 3-pager you already have made some mistakes, but then he can point them out to you.

Or, even more likely, he might say: "This isn't really new. I suggest that you read up on..."

I googled and found this:

http://www.doaj.org/doaj?cpid=49&func=subject

What does "open access" mean?

Some of these journals seem to have "fees" when submitting work, others not. Do the "fees" imply anyone who pays it would get published (i.e. they accept anything for money)?

Also, a look at individual papers shows that the bulk of these have never been downloaded. No one reads them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about like the american philosophical society?

1. What are some reputable journals for publishing physics papers that are accessible to non-physicists?

Some reputable journals for publishing physics papers for non-physicists include Physics Today, Scientific American, and Nature Physics.

2. Are there any open access journals that specialize in publishing physics papers for a general audience?

Yes, there are several open access journals that specialize in publishing physics papers for a general audience, such as Physics Education, The Physics Teacher, and Physics in Perspective.

3. Can I publish my physics paper in a multidisciplinary journal if it is written for a non-physicist audience?

Yes, depending on the scope of the journal, you may be able to publish your physics paper in a multidisciplinary journal. Some examples of multidisciplinary journals that publish physics papers for non-physicists include Science, Nature, and PNAS.

4. Are there any specific criteria or guidelines for writing a physics paper for non-physicists?

Yes, there are some general guidelines to follow when writing a physics paper for a non-physicist audience. These include using simple and clear language, avoiding technical jargon, and providing context and background information to help readers understand the topic.

5. How can I ensure that my physics paper for non-physicists is accessible and engaging?

To ensure that your physics paper is accessible and engaging for non-physicist readers, you can consider incorporating visuals, analogies, and real-life examples to help explain complex concepts. You can also have a non-physicist colleague or friend read and provide feedback on your paper before submitting it for publication.