[Quantum Mechanics] Quantum Fisher Information for a Pure State

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Quantum Fisher Information for a pure state using the given equation and the fact that the state is pure. The solution should be F[\rho,J]=4\Delta_\psi^2J, where \Delta_\psi^2J=\langle\psi|J^2|\psi\rangle-(\langle\psi|J|\psi\rangle)^2 is the variance of J. The difficulties lie in understanding how r_i and r_j behave with the given ρ and how to proceed with the calculation.
Arpayon
Hi everyone.

Homework Statement

We are given N spins 1/2. A rotation is defined as
[itex]\rho_\theta=e^{-i\theta J_n}\rho_\theta e^{i\theta J_n}[/itex]
on an Hilbert Space H, with
[itex]J_n=n_xJ_x+n_yJ_y+n_zJ_z\:,\quad n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2=1[/itex],
and [itex]\theta[/itex] isn't related to any observable.
Given a quantum state [itex]\rho=\sum_ir_i|r_i\rangle\langle r_i|[/itex],
the Formula for the Quantum Fisher Information I've come to is
[itex]F[\rho,J]=2\sum_{i,j}\frac{(r_i-r_j)^2}{r_i+r_j}|\langle r_i|J|r_j\rangle|^2[/itex] (which is indeed right).
Problem is that I have to calculate the Quantum Fisher Information for a Pure state [itex]\rho=|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|[/itex].
The solution should be [itex]F[\rho,J]=4\Delta_\psi^2J[/itex],
where [itex]\Delta_\psi^2J=\langle\psi|J^2|\psi\rangle-(\langle\psi|J|\psi\rangle)^2[/itex] is the variance of J, but I can't come to it

Homework Equations

I have to use the given equation for Fisher Information with the fact that [itex]\rho[/itex] is pure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have difficulties in how to procede. In pure states all the coefficient [itex]r_i[/itex] should be 0, except for one of the, which should be 1.
Any idea?
Many thanks, this is quite urgent :(

Physics news on Phys.org
With ρ = | ri >< ri | I get the result... (split J2 and insert Ʃj | rj >< rj |)

Problem is that I don't get how [itex]r_i[/itex] and [itex]r_j[/itex] behave with this particular
[itex]\rho[/itex]
What do you mean by splitting [itex]J^2[/itex]?

1. What is quantum Fisher information?

Quantum Fisher information is a measure of the sensitivity of a quantum state to small changes in a parameter that describes the state. It is used to quantify the precision of quantum measurements and is an important tool in quantum metrology.

2. How is quantum Fisher information calculated?

Quantum Fisher information can be calculated using the quantum Fisher information matrix, which is a combination of the state's density matrix and the derivative of the density matrix with respect to the parameter of interest. This matrix is then used to calculate the Fisher information, which is a single value that represents the state's sensitivity to the parameter.

3. What is the significance of quantum Fisher information for pure states?

For pure states, quantum Fisher information is equal to the quantum Cramér-Rao bound, which is the best possible precision that can be achieved in a measurement of the state. This means that the higher the quantum Fisher information for a pure state, the more precise measurements can be made on that state.

4. How is quantum Fisher information used in quantum information processing?

In quantum information processing, quantum Fisher information is used to optimize measurement strategies and to quantify the amount of information that can be extracted from a quantum state. It is also used in quantum error correction to determine the sensitivity of a state to errors and to minimize their effects.

5. Can quantum Fisher information be extended to mixed states?

Yes, quantum Fisher information can also be calculated for mixed states, which are states that are a combination of pure states. In this case, the quantum Fisher information is a function of the state's density matrix and can be used to measure the precision of measurements on the mixed state.