Another view of the concept of time.

In summary, the conversation is about different perspectives on the concept of time. Some believe it is a human construct while others see it as a fundamental aspect of the universe. The topic is further explored on a website, and the individual hopes for a discussion on the subject. The conversation ends with a comment that the discussion may only lead to speculation.
Tal D. Noble
Another view of the concept of "time."

Dear Friends,

I am new to these most interesting forums. I am very pleased to have discovered them. Perhaps I can add a subject that might also be of interest?

Some philosophers, theologians and even some scientists seem to feel that "time" is but a figment of human imagination or some similar fabrication. Others suggest that it is only but a manifistation or similar extension of an existing concept, without any truly solid, independent description of its own.

I would submit, for your consideration, the contention that "time" is a major factor, if not THE major factor, in our universe. The thesis for this is presented, in some detail (but without the mathematics), for your inspection at:

I haven't given the specific page on that site, in the address noted above, because I also believe you will find the entire site most interesting. However, the page in question is: "The Physical Nature of Time".

I hope you will enjoy the experience and will return here will various comments and such. I'm sure that such a discussion will be quite interesting.

Most sincerely,

Tal D. Noble

P.S. I will do my best to find my way back here and join with you in any discussions that might follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I always looked at time most simply as the change of matter, and energy from one step to another... wow enlightening I know

Time!... its the definition that man has given the past,present,and future present to come. Time is no mystery but is the 4th dimension that we don't fully understand with our 20th century physics! -Chad

Seems that this thread can only lead to idle specutlation.

Closed

1. What is the concept of time?

The concept of time refers to the measurement of the duration between events or moments. It is a fundamental aspect of our existence and is often perceived as a linear progression from the past to the present and into the future.

2. Is time a constant or does it vary?

This is a highly debated question among scientists. Some argue that time is a constant and does not vary, while others believe that it can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. More research is needed to fully understand the nature of time.

3. Can time be perceived differently by different individuals?

Yes, time can be perceived differently by different individuals. This is due to a variety of factors such as cultural influences, psychological state, and personal experiences. Additionally, factors such as age and neurological conditions can also affect one's perception of time.

4. Are there other ways to measure time besides seconds and minutes?

Yes, there are other ways to measure time. In addition to the standard units of seconds, minutes, and hours, time can also be measured in larger units such as days, weeks, and years. There are also more precise measurements such as nanoseconds and picoseconds used in scientific research.

5. Can time travel be possible?

The concept of time travel is a popular topic in science fiction, but currently, there is no scientific evidence to support its possibility. Some theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, suggest that time travel may be possible, but it would require advanced technology and a deep understanding of the laws of physics.