Taking an honors physics class at a local university while in high school.

In summary, the professor who teaches the honors introductory physics class at the university is considered to be the best physics professor there and often converts students into majors. A high school senior who has taken a dumbed down algebra-based physics class should be able to handle the course at the university, but will need to study AP Physics in order to do well.

Should I take the honors introductory physics class?

• Take it!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Don't do it!

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Phyzwizz
So I am participating in a program that allows me to take classes at a local university and the counselor suggested that because I plan to go into physics when I go off to college (I will be a high school senior next year) it would be a good idea to take the honors introductory course that is offered for physics. The teacher who teaches this class is considered to be the best physics professor at the university and receives great ratings on the rate my professor website that sometimes even mention his conversion of students into physics majors (although most of the raters said gave him a 1 for easiness in the class I'm considering).

If I decided not to take the class at the university I could take AP Physics at my high school but it is taught by a teacher who is known for really dumbing down the material and he also comes from a mechanical engineering background. I had him for honors physics last year and it was insanely easy. We mostly just had to plug numbers into equations for tests and homework and throughout the classes there wasn't much thinking involved.

So my question is whether it would be wise for a high school senior who had a dumbed down algebra based physics class to take an honors calculus based physics class at a local university. I took Calculus AB last year and received a 4 on the AP test and I will be taking Calculus II at the university next year. I have a great interest in physics and although it doesn't apply that much I do read a lot of popular literature on the subject.

Has anyone here had any experiences with honors introductory physics classes in college?

Physics news on Phys.org
High school is your chance to explore a range of interests, like sports, hobbies, movie nights, video games, hanging out doing nothing, pizza, I could go on.

You'll have plenty of time to work day and night when you get to college.

I would say take it. If you're interested in physics I think it will be worth it and you seem like someone who would rather have a good understand of concepts instead of just the methods (sounds like your high school class).

Yes, take the physics class at the university. It will be harder than your high school class, but that's a good thing. You will be challenged during the class and you will discover whether you truly like physics.

Phyzwizz said:
If I decided not to take the class at the university I could take AP Physics at my high school but it is taught by a teacher who is known for really dumbing down the material and he also comes from a mechanical engineering background. I had him for honors physics last year and it was insanely easy. We mostly just had to plug numbers into equations for tests and homework and throughout the classes there wasn't much thinking involved.

So my question is whether it would be wise for a high school senior who had a dumbed down algebra based physics class to take an honors calculus based physics class at a local university. I took Calculus AB last year and received a 4 on the AP test and I will be taking Calculus II at the university next year. I have a great interest in physics and although it doesn't apply that much I do read a lot of popular literature on the subject.
if I were you I would take the class

Hi Phyzwizz,

I took honors physics last semester and really enjoyed it. However, it was not uncommon to see mathematics usually taught in one's third semester of calculus (triple integrals, conversion to polar/parametric, etc.). Some of the students in the class were just learning how to take the derivative of elementary functions since calculus 1 was the only prerequisite.

You should get a hold of the professor and tell them you situation. They will be able to give you some advice on what you need to do to be prepared. If you have not taken calculus yet, honors physics will be a significant amount of work for you, as you will need to learn the math and the physics at the same time.

Honors physics at my university pretty much expected you to know all of AP Physics already. There were also "proofs" (as in physics proofs, not math proofs) involving abstract particles/forces/etc. They're pretty basic, but if you've never done anything other than plugging numbers into equations, it'll be a bit of a problem.

Nonetheless it's a great course if you're prepared for it. So study AP Physics over the rest of the summer and take the course.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I talked to the professor and he said the most challenging part is just the application of math to the physics. I've decided to take the class I took out James Stewart's Calculus 5e and I'm starting to work my way through Calc 2 topics hopefully this book will be sufficient.

1. What are the benefits of taking an honors physics class at a local university while in high school?

There are several benefits to taking an honors physics class at a local university while in high school. First, it allows you to get a head start on college-level coursework and potentially earn college credits. This can save you time and money in the long run. Additionally, taking an honors physics class can improve your understanding of the subject and prepare you for more advanced courses in college. It also looks impressive on college applications and can make you stand out as a high-achieving student.

2. Is it difficult to balance an honors physics class at a local university with high school coursework?

This will vary depending on the individual and their personal workload, but it can be challenging to balance an honors physics class at a local university with high school coursework. It is important to carefully manage your time and prioritize assignments and studying. It may also be helpful to communicate with your high school teachers and university professor to ensure you are meeting all expectations. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and not overwhelm yourself with too much coursework.

3. Can I take an honors physics class at a local university if I have not taken physics in high school?

This will depend on the specific university and their requirements. Some universities may allow students to take an honors physics class without prior high school physics coursework, while others may have prerequisites in place. It is important to check with the university and discuss your options with an academic advisor.

4. How will taking an honors physics class at a local university affect my high school GPA?

Again, this will vary depending on the specific university and their policies. Some universities may offer college credits for the class, which can impact your high school GPA positively. However, if the class is not for college credit, it may not affect your high school GPA at all. It is important to check with your high school and university to understand how the class will impact your GPA.

5. Will taking an honors physics class at a local university increase my chances of getting into a good college?

Taking an honors physics class at a local university can definitely increase your chances of getting into a good college. It shows that you are motivated, dedicated, and willing to challenge yourself academically. It also allows you to gain college-level experience and potentially earn college credits, which can make you a more competitive applicant. However, it is important to also consider other factors such as your overall GPA, extracurricular activities, and personal essays when applying to colleges.