CFD Discretization: Building a Higher Order Code Using Polynomial Fitting

In summary, The individual is trying to build a higher order cfd code using polynomial fitting, but is struggling with where to start. They provide a diagram of their domain and a 3rd order polynomial equation. They have four equations with four unknowns, but there is a solution using Lagrange Interpolating Polynomial.
pcjl
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out.

Essentially I am trying to build a higher order cfd code and struggling to work out where to start, I’m trying to build it using polynomial fitting so here’s my problem.

Taking my domain as;

ϕ_(i-2)------------------ϕ_(i-1)------------------ϕ_i------------------ϕ_(i+1)
|------------------------|----------------------|---------------------|
x=0---------------------1/3 --------------------2/3------------------x=1

So I’m wanting to fit a 3rd order polynomial however I’ve not really done much polynomial fitting since A level so I’m quite stuck, here’s what I have,

ϕ=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d

Taking the infomation from the domain I can get the four equations

ϕ_(i+1)=a+b+c+d

ϕ_i=a(2/3)^3+b(2/3)^2+c(2/3)+d

ϕ_(i-1)=a(1/3)^3+b(1/3)^2+c(1/3)+d

ϕ_(i-2)=d

My problem is that there seems to be two many unknowns can anyone help

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is CFD discretization and why is it important?

CFD discretization is the process of approximating continuous mathematical equations into discrete equations that can be solved numerically. It is important because it allows for the simulation of complex fluid dynamics problems that cannot be solved analytically, providing valuable insights into real-world phenomena.

2. What are the main types of discretization methods used in CFD?

The main types of discretization methods used in CFD are finite difference, finite volume, and finite element methods. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

3. How does CFD discretization affect the accuracy of the simulation?

The accuracy of the simulation depends on the choice of discretization method, the grid resolution, and the physical properties of the fluid being simulated. Generally, higher order discretization methods and finer grid resolutions result in more accurate simulations.

4. What are some common challenges in CFD discretization?

Some common challenges in CFD discretization include dealing with complex geometry, ensuring stability of the solution, and balancing accuracy and computational cost.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my CFD simulation through discretization?

To improve the accuracy of a CFD simulation, you can try using higher order discretization methods, refining the grid, and carefully selecting appropriate boundary conditions and physical models. It is also important to perform proper validation and verification to ensure the accuracy of the results.