Understanding Units of Work in Physics: A Brief Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of math to physics and the understanding of units. The correct units for work, force, and mass are discussed, with the conclusion that the SI units are correct. The confusion surrounding the use of "foot-pounds" as a unit of work is also addressed. It is noted that "pound" can refer to both a unit of mass and a unit of force, causing confusion in everyday life.
Mangoes
Hey there,

I'm in a math class and we're covering some applications to physics and although I completely understand the math behind it and am getting the correct answers, I'm a little iffy on how some of the units work.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me whether or not my thought process here is correct? Since my book covers the theory behind the math, it doesn't really cover how the units work.

Work = Force*Distance
Force = Mass*Acceleration

Let's say that we measured mass in kg and acceleration in m/s^2.

F = (kg)(m/s^2) = Newton

Plugging this into work and taking distance to be measured in meters:

W = [(kg)(m/s^2)]*(m) = (kg)(m^2/s^2) = Joules

Is the above correct?

Also, my book uses notation I'm unfamiliar with (ft - lb) and calls it foot-pounds.

Would it be dimensionally equal to Joules but using feet and pounds instead?
That is, would it be equal to (lb)(ft^2/s^2)?

Thanks for any help.
I'm just concerned I'm not understanding this correctly and on a test I'll write units that don't mean what I actually mean to say.

Physics news on Phys.org
The SI units are correct. For foot-pounds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-pound_(energy )

Last edited by a moderator:
Mangoes said:
Work = Force*Distance
Force = Mass*Acceleration

Let's say that we measured mass in kg and acceleration in m/s^2.

F = (kg)(m/s^2) = Newton

Plugging this into work and taking distance to be measured in meters:

W = [(kg)(m/s^2)]*(m) = (kg)(m^2/s^2) = Joules

Is the above correct?

It is correct. Work is force *distance, the unit is Newton-meter=kg*m^2/s^2 and it has the name "joule" (J)

Mangoes said:
Also, my book uses notation I'm unfamiliar with (ft - lb) and calls it foot-pounds.

Would it be dimensionally equal to Joules but using feet and pounds instead?
That is, would it be equal to (lb)(ft^2/s^2)?

Thanks for any help.
I'm just concerned I'm not understanding this correctly and on a test I'll write units that don't mean what I actually mean to say.

As far as I know, "Pound" is unit of weight and that is force. So you can measure work in ft-lb units (foot*pound) .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-pound_(energy)

ehild

Oh wow, I'm being an idiot with the foot pounds thing.

Guess I'm too used to using pounds as a measure of mass in everyday life.

Thanks guys.

It is really very confusing. In the old times when I was at school, we used "kg " as unit of weight and the unit of work was m-kg. Later it was said the kg(weight) is the force the Earth attracts an 1 kg mass. The same happened to the pound, I guess.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mass.html

ehild

Last edited:
Technically, "kg" as a unit of force was named "kilogram-force" and denoted as "kgf". Of course everybody abbreviated that to just kilogram and kg, and confusion frequently ensued.

voko said:
Technically, "kg" as a unit of force was named "kilogram-force" and denoted as "kgf". Of course everybody abbreviated that to just kilogram and kg, and confusion frequently ensued.

kilogram-force is more logical then "kilogram-weight" (kilogramsúly) as it was used in Hungary (súly=weight). It was very confusing, as it is with the different meanings of "pound". I read it is force in the US? http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/slug.html#c1

ehild

What is work?

Work is the measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move. It is measured in joules (J).

What is the unit for work?

The unit for work is the joule (J).

What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move, while power is the rate at which work is done. Work is measured in joules (J), while power is measured in watts (W).

Can different units of work be converted to each other?

Yes, different units of work can be converted to each other. For example, 1 joule (J) is equivalent to 1 newton-meter (Nm) or 1 watt-second (Ws).

Why is it important to use the correct units when measuring work?

Using the correct units when measuring work is important because it allows for accurate and consistent measurement and comparison of work done in different situations. It also ensures that calculations involving work are correct and meaningful.