How do i get the singlet state?

In summary, the conversation discusses the singlet and triplet states of a two-electron system and the difficulty the speaker is having in understanding them. The concept of the fundamental theorem for the addition of angular momentum is mentioned, and the conversation ends with the speaker still seeking clarification on the topic.
kingmob
In all my books the singlet and triplet state of a two-electron system seem to be postulated as obvious. The problem is that the sollutions somehow aren't obvious to me at all. I can see i can derive the s=1 states by applying a lowering operator to |s=1,m=1> =|++> But it doesn't help me in my understanding of the matter.
Also, i can see that the singlet state is orthogonal to the other states, but this doesn't help me get to it myself.
What is the thing I'm missing here?

For completeness:
singlet:
[tex]|s=0,m=0> = \frac {1} {\sqrt{2}}(|+-> - |-+>)[/tex]

Triplet:
[tex]|s=1,m=1> = |++>[/tex]
[tex]|s=1,m=0> = \frac {1} {\sqrt{2}}(|+-> + |-+>)[/tex]
[tex]|s=1,m=-1> = |-->[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole point is that the singlet state is invariant under "rotations", unlike the triplet state. So invoking orthogonality is the only way to find it, I believe.

These states are the right states, because they are eigenfunctions of S=S1+S2 and S^2 with the right eigenvalues. (Check it).

kingmob said:
In all my books the singlet and triplet state of a two-electron system seem to be postulated as obvious. The problem is that the sollutions somehow aren't obvious to me at all.

... What is the thing I'm missing here?
Have you looked at a proof of

the FUNDAMENTAL THEOREM for the ADDITION OF ANGULAR MOMENTUM ?

This is how the theorem goes:

In the (2j1+1)(2j2+1)-dimensional space spanned by the vectors |j1,m1>|j2,m2> (with j1,j2 fixed, and m1,m2 variable), the possible values of j are

j1+ j2 , j1+ j2-1 , ... , |j1- j2| ,

and to each of these values there corresponds one, and only one, sequence of 2j+1 eigenvectors |j,mj> , mj = -j,...,j .

For the answer to you your question, all you need to do is understand the case in which j1 = j2 = 1/2 .

The theorem of Clebsch-Gordan has other text.Please refer from using approximate (personally interpreted) formulations.Just pick a book.

Daniel.

Eye_in_the_Sky said:
Have you looked at ...

... For the answer to you your question, all you need to do is understand the case in which j1 = j2 = 1/2
What does the theorem look like for the case j1 = j2 = ½ ? It looks like:

In the 4-dimensional space spanned by the vectors |j1=½,m1>|j2=½,m2> (with m1,m2 = ± ½), the possible values of j are

1,0 ,

and to the j=1 value there corresponds one, and only one, sequence of 3 eigenvectors |1,1>, |1,0>, |1,-1>, and to the j=0 value there corresponds one, and only one, sequence consisting of a single eigenvector |0,0>.

The members of a given sequence are related to one another by means of the raising or lowering operators. That is, for example, using the lowering operator J, we have for the j=1 sequence

J|1,1> = √2 |1,0> ,

J|1,0> = √2 |1,-1> ,

J|1,-1> = 0 ;

whereas, for the j=0 sequence, we have

J|0,0> = 0 .

These four |j,m> vectors form an orthonormal basis of the 4-dimensional joint spin-space. However, an alternative orthonormal basis is given by the original set of vectors { |j1=½,m1>|j2=½,m2> ; m1,m2 = ± ½ }, which in simplified notation is nothing but { |+,+>, |+,->, |-,+>, |-,-> }.

It is trivial to check, and true in general, that the vector |j1,m1>|j2,m2> is an eigenvector of (total) Jz with eigenvalue m=m1+m2. This means that, when each of m1 and m2 takes on its largest allowed value (i.e. m1=j1, m2=j2), then the associated vector must correspond to the |j,m> vector given by |jmax,mmax>. Specifically, for the case at hand, this fact is expressed by

|+,+> ↔ |1,1> .

There is no difficulty in writing the above relationship as an actual equality. Therefore, we can write

|1,1> = |+,+> .

By similar reasoning, we are also able to write

|1,-1> = |-,-> .

Next:
kingmob said:
I can see i can derive the s=1 states by applying a lowering operator to |s=1,m=1> =|++>
So, then you can see

|1,0> = (1/√2) J|1,1>

= (1/√2) ( J1– + J2– ) |+,+>

= (1/√2) ( J1–|+,+> + J2–|+,+> )

= (1/√2) ( |-,+> + |+,-> ) .

We have now, therefore, solved for the triplet.

kingmob said:
Also, i can see that the singlet state is orthogonal to the other states
That's good. We've already used up 3 out of 4 dimensions, and since the normalized vector

(1/√2) ( |-,+> – |+,-> )

is orthogonal to all of the triplets, it must correspond to |0,0>, the singlet.

And we are done.

kingmob said:
... but this doesn't help me get to it myself.
What is the thing I'm missing here?
Do you still feel that something is missing?

1. How do I create a singlet state?

The most common way to create a singlet state is through a process called quantum entanglement. This involves preparing two particles in a specific quantum state, and then manipulating them in such a way that their properties become correlated. This creates a singlet state between the two particles.

2. What is a singlet state?

A singlet state is a type of quantum state in which two particles are entangled and their properties are correlated. This means that measuring the properties of one particle will give information about the properties of the other particle, even if they are far apart.

3. What are the properties of a singlet state?

The properties of a singlet state are determined by the specific quantum properties of the entangled particles. These properties can include spin, polarization, and energy levels. The exact correlations between the particles' properties depend on the method used to create the singlet state.

4. What is the significance of a singlet state?

Singlet states are significant in quantum physics because they demonstrate the phenomenon of quantum entanglement. This is a key concept in quantum mechanics and has important implications for quantum computing and communication.

5. How is a singlet state used in technology?

Singlet states have potential applications in quantum computing and communication, as they allow for the transfer of information between particles over long distances. They may also have uses in quantum cryptography, where the properties of singlet states can be used to encode and decode secure messages.