Galaxies: Redshift, velocity and distance

In summary, redshift is a phenomenon caused by the expansion of the universe, where light from an object appears shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. It can be used as a distance indicator for galaxies by measuring their velocity, which can be determined by the amount of redshift. Other methods such as Cepheid variable stars, Type Ia supernovae, and the Tully-Fisher relation can also be used to determine the distance of a galaxy. Studying the redshift, velocity, and distance of galaxies is important in understanding the structure, evolution, and age of the universe, as well as gaining insights into the distribution of matter and dark energy.
Duggle
Ok, so I need to calculate the age of the universe using hubbles law.
Problem is that I cannot find enough data:
Information I'm looking for:
40 galaxies including all of this three:
Redshift(z)
velocity(v)
and distance(d)

Can anyone could direct me to any professional/reliable (which excludes wikipedia[I NEED REFERENCE]) websites/links?
I did research but did not find anything reliable all good enough.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is redshift and how is it related to galaxies?

Redshift is a phenomenon where light from an object appears shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. In the context of galaxies, this is caused by the expansion of the universe. The farther a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away, and the more redshifted its light appears.

2. How is the velocity of a galaxy determined?

The velocity of a galaxy can be determined by measuring its redshift. The amount of redshift is directly proportional to the galaxy's velocity, as predicted by the Hubble's Law. This allows us to estimate the speed at which a galaxy is moving away from us.

3. How does redshift help determine the distance of a galaxy?

Redshift can be used as a distance indicator for galaxies. This is because, as mentioned before, the amount of redshift is directly proportional to the velocity of the galaxy. By knowing the velocity and using the Hubble's Law, we can calculate the distance of the galaxy from us.

4. Are there other methods to determine the distance of a galaxy?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Cepheid variable stars, Type Ia supernovae, and the Tully-Fisher relation. These methods rely on certain characteristics of the objects in the galaxy to estimate its distance.

5. Why is it important to study the redshift, velocity, and distance of galaxies?

Studying these properties of galaxies helps us understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It also allows us to determine the age of the universe and the rate of its expansion. Additionally, by studying the velocity and distance of galaxies, we can gain insights into the distribution of matter and dark energy in the universe.