Chemistry: Polar or non-polar? Dipolar moment?

In summary, the molecule in question has a triple symmetry, resulting in a dipolar moment of 0. However, some argue that due to the strong attraction of electrons by the oxygens, the molecule can still be considered polar. The concept of dipole moment as a measure of polarity is challenged, as it is possible for a molecule to have a dipole moment of 0 and still be polar.
tsuwal

Homework Statement

Is this molecule polar or non polar? What is its dipolar moment?
MOLECULE.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The molecule has triple symmetry so its dipolar moment is 0. But I think it is polar because the oxygens atract the eletrons much more strongly than carbons.

Physics news on Phys.org
tsuwal said:
The molecule has triple symmetry so its dipolar moment is 0. But I think it is polar because the oxygens atract the eletrons much more strongly than carbons.

Dipole moment is a vector.

yes i know, by 0 i meant null vector. so what's the answer?

tsuwal said:
yes i know, by 0 i meant null vector. so what's the answer?

If the net dipole moment is zero, is the molecule polar or non-polar?

that's my question, everyone treats dipole moment as a measure of polarity but I think it is possible for a molecule to have 0 dipole moment and be polar as the one in the figure. I think there is a negative pole in each oxygen even though the dipole moment is zero

1. What is the difference between polar and non-polar molecules?

Polar molecules have an unequal distribution of charge due to the presence of polar bonds or asymmetrical shape, while non-polar molecules have an equal distribution of charge due to the presence of non-polar bonds or a symmetrical shape.

2. How do I determine if a molecule is polar or non-polar?

You can determine if a molecule is polar or non-polar by looking at the electronegativity difference between the atoms in the molecule. If the difference is greater than 0.5, the molecule is polar. If the difference is less than 0.5, the molecule is non-polar.

3. What is a dipolar moment and how does it relate to polarity?

A dipolar moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a molecule. It is directly related to the polarity of a molecule, as the larger the dipolar moment, the more polar the molecule is.

4. Can a non-polar molecule have a dipolar moment?

Yes, a non-polar molecule can have a dipolar moment if it has bond dipoles that do not cancel out due to the molecule's shape. This is known as a permanent dipole moment.

5. Why is understanding polarity and dipolar moment important in chemistry?

Understanding polarity and dipolar moment is important in chemistry because it helps predict the physical and chemical properties of molecules, such as solubility, boiling point, and reactivity. It also plays a crucial role in many processes, including biological reactions and intermolecular interactions.