Why degrees are equal if polynomial are equal?

In summary: So n =0, and both are constants. In summary, if two polynomial functions f(x) and g(x) are equal, their degrees must be equal. This can be proven by considering the difference between the two functions, which is also a polynomial, and realizing that if f(x)=g(x) for all values of x, then the difference between f and g must have infinitely many zeros and therefore must be equal to the zero polynomial. This holds true for fields of characteristic zero, as well as for complex roots according to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. In fields of characteristic zero, this statement can also be proven by recognizing that a non-zero polynomial can only have finitely many roots, while the zero polynomial has infinitely
Avichal
Two polynomial f(x) and g(x) are equal then their degrees are equal.
This is a very trivial statement and it shouldn't worry me much but it is.

I get an intuitive idea why they should be equal. Their graphs wouldn't coincide for unequal degrees.
But what if somehow the coefficients make f(x) = g(x) for all values of x?

Is there a more rigorous proof for this statement?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
? if f(x)=g(x) then of course they are of the same degree, the two functions are equal.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, if two functions are the same then everything about them are equal.

First assume our field is infinite, like R or C. The difference between two polynomials is a polynomial, so f−g is a polynomial. Since f(x)=g(x) for all x, this means that f−g have infinitely many zeros, whence f−g=0.

Now, for Z/pZ , p prime, we have x^p−a=x−a, since x^p=x

HomogenousCow said:
? if f(x)=g(x) then of course they are of the same degree, the two functions are equal.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, if two functions are the same then everything about them are equal.
Yes, I know its obvious. But I was looking for a proof.
rattanjot14 said:
First assume our field is infinite, like R or C. The difference between two polynomials is a polynomial, so f−g is a polynomial. Since f(x)=g(x) for all x, this means that f−g have infinitely many zeros, whence f−g=0.

Now, for Z/pZ , p prime, we have x^p−a=x−a, since x^p=x
Thanks for the proof.
By your last line are you suggesting that this isn't always the case.

Avichal said:
Yes, I know its obvious. But I was looking for a proof.

Thanks for the proof.
By your last line are you suggesting that this isn't always the case.

If you are using the two-element field (i.e. GF[2]) then the polynomial function f(x) = x3 + 1 and the polynomial function g(x) = x + 1 both have the same graph:

0: 1
1: 0

As formal polynomials they have different degrees. But as polynomial functions they have the same graph.

Last edited:
Assuming fields of characteristic zero , re the cases brought up above by jbriggs and rattan, maybe you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra (considering complex roots ), to argue that both must have the same roots and therefore the samenumber of roots.

Otherwise,how about this: if f=g, then f-g =0 is the zero polynomial ( not just the number zero). But every
non-zero polynomial has only finitely-many roots, while the zero polynomial (over char. zero ) does not. Then
f-g must be the 0 polynomial:

0*x^n +0*x^{n-1)+...+0*x+0.

1. Why do degrees matter in polynomial equations?

Degrees are important in polynomial equations because they determine the highest power of the variable in the equation. This affects the shape and behavior of the graph of the equation, as well as the number of solutions that the equation may have.

2. How do you know if two polynomials are equal?

Two polynomials are equal if they have the same degree and the same coefficients for each power of the variable. This means that the terms of the polynomials are identical in terms of their variables and exponents, even if they are in a different order.

3. Can two polynomials with different degrees be equal?

No, two polynomials with different degrees cannot be equal. This is because the degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable, and if two polynomials have different degrees, it means they have different numbers of terms and cannot be equal.

4. How does the degree of a polynomial affect its solutions?

The degree of a polynomial affects the number of solutions it may have. For example, a polynomial with a degree of 1 (linear) will have one solution, while a polynomial with a degree of 2 (quadratic) can have up to two solutions. The degree also determines the complexity and behavior of the solutions.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that equal degrees mean equal polynomials?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. Some polynomials may have the same degree and coefficients for each power of the variable, but they may be written in different forms (e.g. factored form vs. expanded form). In these cases, they are technically equal but may appear different. Additionally, sometimes two polynomials may have the same degree but not be equal due to missing or extra terms.