Properties of mixed partial derivatives

In summary, it seems that assuming all partial derivatives commute may not always be the best decision, and more research may need to be done in order to make a more informed decision.
wefoust2
Hi, I am sort of hung up with a particular step in a derivation, and this has caused me to ponder a few properties of partial derivatives. As a result, I believe I may be correct for the wrong reasons. For this example, the starting term is

([itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex])

I want to go from the above term to

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])

I am a little confused how this is done. I am not sure if you can "factor" out the [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] or not. I thought about simply rearranging the partials, but I don't think I can assume the function is smooth or symmetric. Any help or insight you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks,
wefoust

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, partial derivatives commute, so

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \Big(\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}\Big)=\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x \partial t}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Big(\frac{\partial v }{\partial x}\Big) [/tex]

from there you can factor out the time derivative.

cristo said:
Well, partial derivatives commute, so

Doesn't that require the continuity of the second partial derivatives in order to be true in general? It seems to me that OP explicitly stated that not enough is known about the function to guarantee that?

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for you input so far! I've looked up some more info based on the links and terms you all have used, and I feel that I am getting descent understanding about the property. It seems that assuming all partials commute is a bit of an overstatement. In most cases the partials should commute, but there do exists special cases, as when the 2nd order is not defined or continuous (this holds for both ways as in Fxy or Fyx).

Again, thanks for the help, and let me know if you come across something more convincing.

1. What are mixed partial derivatives?

Mixed partial derivatives refer to the derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to multiple variables. Specifically, they are the derivatives of the partial derivatives of a function with respect to different variables.

2. How are mixed partial derivatives calculated?

To calculate a mixed partial derivative, we take the partial derivative of a function with respect to one variable and then take the partial derivative of that result with respect to another variable. This can be done in any order, but the result may vary depending on the order of differentiation.

3. What is the significance of mixed partial derivatives?

Mixed partial derivatives are important in understanding how a multivariable function changes with respect to different variables. They can also help in optimization problems, as they can indicate the direction of maximum change in a function.

4. Can mixed partial derivatives be equal?

Yes, it is possible for mixed partial derivatives to be equal. This occurs when the function has continuous second-order partial derivatives. In this case, the order of differentiation does not matter and the mixed partial derivatives will be equal.

5. Are there any applications of mixed partial derivatives?

Yes, mixed partial derivatives have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to solve problems in optimization, fluid mechanics, elasticity, and many other fields.